k4 transmission teardown

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

cucurumbe
Lude Dude

k4 transmission teardown

Post by cucurumbe »

Hey guys sorry its been a while, but the lude has been doing well and with a family of five there is not much personal time. Lately my auto transmission on the 89 has been grinding very slightly from reverse to drive and from reverse to park. the later of the two is regular and more pronounce. While driving it seems that she takes a slight more time to respond to throttle but not sure . There is also fluid around the torque converter cover but there again very very slight. I have the atsg k4 book and have decided to rebuild it myself (everyone hold their breath). Besides looking for visible damage and clearances does anyone have an idea what could be causing the grinding.Also looking for a good master rebuild kit and don't have a clue which brand and from where should i purchase? All help is always greatly appreciated!
That was easy!!

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: k4 transmission teardown

Post by spiffyguido »

A grinding sound is going to stem from something mechanical for sure. I suspect that when you tear into things you'll find something that's either damaged or has come loose. As you mentioned, check for damage and clearances. Take some pictures too. It's not often that a transmission gets busted open.

As for the parts, as always, I suggest getting as much as you can right from Honda. I don't have an auto, but last time I swapped out my clutch and pressure plate and fork I used Honda OEM parts. As always, they were top notch.

Good luck!