Looking 4 advice on making my prelude the best it can be

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

ThisDudeGotaLude
Prelude Enthusiast

Looking 4 advice on making my prelude the best it can be

Post by ThisDudeGotaLude »

Hi im justin

Two day ago i bought my first project car! And it has almost no problems, all i gota do is replace the piston rings. So i decided im just going to get a engine re build kit and replace all the worn peaces with the kit so that every thing is tip top. but i also wanna up grade alot! Seeing as this is my first project i dont have alot of Experience and i wanna do it all pefect. But im learning as i go, in the past two days ive went thru 8 pages on google clicking on every like looking at aftermarket parts and all kinds of upgrades, plus i read ths forum and realized there was people out there who love this car as much as me :) So i dont have deep pockets but im looking in to doig some pritty expensive work i wanna upgrade the whole fuel system- injectors, pump and filter and the clutch to a good raceing clutch and i wanna go turbo and i wanna run 3' pipe for my exuast and idk alot of stuff. ill post a full detailed list tommarow along with pics..... i just want like opinions and advice as to ware i can find every thing at desent prices and get great... no extrodionay out comes with like i wanna kno the best things i can do and how..... like im getting ready to attend my first year of UTI in july and i wanna pull up in my car ready to be able to jump on the dyno since i get free access while i attend and i just wanna see my prelude be the best it can be! BTW i love this car and lucked out finding my 1990 prelude 2.1l Dohc si with only 100k miles and almost no problems for under $1000 because ive have it for 2 days and i love it!!!! Please any suggestion or ideas im open to any thing and every thing!

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Looking 4 advice on making my prelude the best it can be

Post by spiffyguido »

Congrats on your purchase. You'll have a lot of fun with your car.

I usually suggest that people looking to enhance their car just start with the basics. First order of business is always to get the car running reliably. Replace any worn parts, and make sure the engine is in top form.

Next, you can start making basic bolt-on performance modifications. A cat-back exhaust and an improved intake system are usually good places to start. Thermal R&D is generally considered to be the best off the shelf cat-back system you can get for a 3rd generation prelude. They're very well made. If you want to know how it sounds, search on youtube. There are other bolt on cat-back exhaust systems available, and it is also possible to assemble your own by getting a quality muffler and having a muffler shop bend some pipes to your specifications.

If you want to go deeper into enhancing your cars performance, you have to start looking into a turbo setup. There is a lot of documentation on the web detailing how to add a turbo to a 3rd generation prelude. It's not cheap, and it takes some work, but it's still the easiest way to get some much larger horsepower numbers out of your prelude.

Don't overlook upgrading the suspension as well. A tuned suspension setup won't make your car faster in a straight line, but it will make it WAY more fun to drive. I have a Tokico Blue Strut and Spring set on my car, and to date, it's been the best purchase I've made.

ThisDudeGotaLude
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by ThisDudeGotaLude »

Thanx,
And i do plan to plan on doing some intake and exhaust work too. What types suspension work would you recommend like my friend down the street from me Said something about an air bag suspension but i dont kno too much about them or any thing. Oh and i am buying an engine rebuild kit for around $400 and Replaceing all the worn parts first Because my prelude isnt just a project car too me its the car ive wanted for a long while and now that i got it, its like my gem its gonna be treated with the up most amount of care trust me lol

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Tokico makes very good suspension kits for the 3rd gen prelude.