CYL Sensor(Camshaft position Sensor)

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

91darkness
Prelude Guru
Prelude Model: 3rd gen 91 Si ALB

CYL Sensor(Camshaft position Sensor)

Post by 91darkness »

This is a continuation of my post for Code 9, but dealing with the CYL/camshaft position sensor.
Problems(Code 9): Bad Idle in low rpms, rough start up/bogging engine and jerky throttle response when driving.

What does it do: A camshaft position sensor,or cylinder identification sensor is used to determine the engine cycle position, the information is used to provide individual cylinder ignition and injection control.

What i have learned is that there are a couple things to do or try. 1) clean the cyl sensor electrical connections, reset ECU, replace the distributor. I have read that this happens in a lot of other honda's across the board. The distributor is the culprit in most cases. Note: Spark plug wires, coil and a bad distributor cap can also cause misfires.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

kmeredith95
Prelude Enthusiast

Re: CYL Sensor(Camshaft position Sensor)

Post by kmeredith95 »

Just to be sure we are talking about the same thing. A code 9 in my particular car is a fault with the sensor located just to the right of the distributor in the picture I supplied... Right? If it's not, and a trouble code 9 is referring to the sensor located in the distributor then I will enthusiastically replace it in hopes of fixing the problem.
thanks
IMG_20110320_092718.jpg

91darkness
Prelude Guru

Post by 91darkness »

Code 9 does deal with the cly sensor on the right, but i have read on various forums that its caused farther up the electrical chain. I will be working backwards to the distributor. I am in the process of tuning up my car. I have replaced the spark plugs and next is my wires(ordered today) and if this problem persist I will be able to narrow it down to the distributor. I plan on cleaning my Cyl sensor tomorrow when i get off of work. I dont know if it will make a difference, but we will see.

91darkness
Prelude Guru

Post by 91darkness »

Ok, i removed it and cleaned it inside and out.
1)disconnected the plug
2) removed the mounting 10mm bolts and pulled the CLY sensor off
3) Remove 2 screws that hold on the cap. If you pull off the cap more than likely the gasket will come apart in many pieces as i discovered. Use a utility knife or a blade to separate the gasket from the top or the base, it will be dry rotted. I had to use some liquid high temp, silicone gasket maker to repair the gasket.
I discovered what looked like oil that had leaked between the CLY sensor and the block in the sensor. I used some Mass air flow sensor cleaner i had laying around. I figured it should work on about any sensor. After i sprayed it, i took some 200 grit sand paper and cleaned the face of the sensor off lightly. (The sensor is the stationary part and not the rotating part)
After putting it all together i reset the CPU.

RESULTS?------Well...it started somewhat ok, but the check engine light came on. After i got off work and started the car it was fine with no light. I dont really know if it solved the problem or not. I will have to see what happens over the weekend.
Attachments
CYL.jpg
CYL.jpg (72.9 KiB) Viewed 10516 times

91darkness
Prelude Guru

Post by 91darkness »

so far im getting good results from the cleaning i did. i have not had code 9 pop up so far. i just hope it stays that way, that yellow light was staring me in the face way too long.