Starting Problem

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Bubba
Lude Dude

Starting Problem

Post by Bubba »

Manual Trans 91 Prelude. Car will not crank when ignition switch is turned to engage starter. New battery. No clicking sound when ignition is turned to start. Suspect relay or clutch problem.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Starting Problem

Post by spiffyguido »

A few possibilities come to mind:

-Clutch switch. There is a switch on the clutch pedal that has to be activated before the starter is permitted to run. This protects the car from being started while in gear and jumping forward. In the service manual (see manuals section above) there is a section detailing the switch. If you crawl under your dash and look up near the top of the clutch pedal, you'll see the switch. I've heard of them coming dislodged before. Check this first.

-Starter problems. You could be having trouble with either the starter itself, or the starter solenoid. I would have expected to hear some clicking if this is the case, so I'd start by checking your clutch switch.

-Ignition switch. I had this happen to me once on an '86 prelude. The ignition switch had failed so that the starter wouldn't run. Terribly hard to diagnose, but a simple fix once I figured out what was wrong. This too isn't too hard to test for. If you take the molding off your steering console, you can get to the wiring the ignition switch. It is located exactly on the opposite side of the steering column from where you insert the key. It's pretty easy to figure out what wires control which ignition positions. Just use a jumper wire to cross the correct combo of wires and hot wire you car to start. Easy. Be wary though...these wires carry more amps than other wires in the car and will deliver a nasty spark to your hand/arm/face if you let them.

-Main Relay. This is a well documented problem. Some people (particularly those in damp climates, it seems) have trouble with their main relay. A fix is well documented here:
http://mustardcat.brinkster.net/p3g/Com ... nrelay.htm

Bubba
Lude Dude

Post by Bubba »

Thanks for suggestions. Found the problem to be the clutch switch - the plastic bushing broke off and kept the clutch pedal from engaging the switch. Installed a bolt and nut to fix the problem. BTW - I had to do the same thing with both the brake and clutch cruise control switches.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Great to hear that you got it all fixed.