New 1991 2.1 owner

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Rusie6687
Prelude Enthusiast
Prelude Model: 1991 Si 2.1L

New 1991 2.1 owner

Post by Rusie6687 »

I am a new owner of a 1991 Prelude Si 2.1L with a very low budget!! lol When I bought the car, there wasnt any issue with the belts squealing. Now, when i start the car, there is a squealing belt. It seems to stop squealing whenever the RPM's come down. But as soon as I hit the gas pedal, it squeals again. Can this be easily fixed by simply tightening the tension bolt?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: New 1991 2.1 owner

Post by spiffyguido »

It's probably an easy fix.

Can you make sense of what belt is squealing? Alternator? Power steering?

Rusie6687
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Rusie6687 »

i cant really tell. I dont think its the power steering belt because it doesnt squeal if i turn the wheel at a dead stop. Not sure if that would cause it to squeal tho...

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

It's most likely your alternator belt. If you check the service manual (see manuals section), there are instructions on how to use the tensioning system. Just check if that belt is loose, and tighten it up if needed. Easy fix.

Rusie6687
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Rusie6687 »

Ok. Thanks a lot! I will try those options and let you know how it does. Also... My temperature guage is acting weird. I can start it and drive it for 10 miles and the temp stays at cold. Then all of a sudden, it pops up to where the temp should be. Any suggestions on that? And one more thing... The windshield wipers... underneath the plastic shield along the base of the windshield, there is a metal arm that attatches to a mechanism that moves the wipers and runs along to the base of the wiper. There should be a clip that holds that arm onto the mechanism.. that is missing and i have it rigged up with a strong piece of wire. That doesnt seem to work for too long. And I definately DO NOT want to be stuck in a rain or snow storm without wipers!! how could I go about getting one of those clips?

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

As far as getting the clip, your best bet is probably to head to a self-serve auto wrecker and strip some parts of a similar prelude.

The problems with your temperature gauge could be caused by a number of things. Most likely, your coolant temperature sensor is malfunctioning, or the wiring to it has become unreliable. I'd give the wiring a once over and check for any signs of breakages. The gauge might not be getting a reliable signal from the sensor.

Rusie6687
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Rusie6687 »

Well I found the problem. I took the car to a local, family owned garage, and the guy said Its an easy fix. The Alternator belt just needed tightened... But there was a problem with that. The tensioner bolt for the alternator is missing! So instead of me looking at wreckers for the bolt(s) I just contacted my local Honda Dealer and ordered them. I was also able to order the cap for the wiper mechanism too. Today Im going to look at the coolant temp guage to see if I can figure that problem out. Thats not a serious issue to me, It just annoys the heck out of me.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Great progress. Glad you got the alternator belt fixed up.

Good luck with your hunt for the source of your temp gauge troubles.