1990 B21A1 Crankshaft pulley removal

Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

tprelude
Lude Dude

1990 B21A1 Crankshaft pulley removal

Post by tprelude »

I am attempting to replace the timing belt, but am having trouble figuring out which way the special bolt on the crankshaft pulley comes off. The operation is counter clockwise - which is opposite most engines, so does that mean that the special bolt would also be the opposite of what one would normally think? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Also I was wondering how I could get in touch with an administrator as I had to reset my password and now I can't change my password. I just keep getting a 'special error code'.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

tprelude,

In my experience, these bolts are often very tight, and you'll likely have a hard time getting it off. If you have an impact wrench, this will help tremendously. The suggested torque for the crankshaft pulley bolt is 83 ft/lbs when you need to put it back on.

Regarding your password issue, as a moderator, I will contact the administrator and see what we can get done about your password situation.
Last edited by spiffyguido on Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

porterj5
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by porterj5 »

Umm the crankshaft bolts I have taken off both a b21 and a b20 came off counter clockwise.

If you are taking it off while the engine is in the car, simply have the car in gear or in park with atleast the passanger side wheel on the ground to that it does not just spin when you turn it.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

My mistake! After some more research, porterj5 is right. You loosen the crankshaft pulley bolt is has normal threads.

It's been so long since I've done it myself, so I couldn't remember, but the documentation I have lists that bolt as being a special bolt.

I searched around though, and the consensus is that that bolt can be loosened by turning it counter-clockwise. Sorry for my error, tprelude. I guess I shouldn't always trust the manual 100%.

tprelude
Lude Dude

Post by tprelude »

Thanks!! Even the Honda dealership I called said that it was a normal thread. This just confirms it. Just wish the fsm and manual I have for the car specified that and saved all this hunting around to get the answer. :-)