Third Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

89propaganda 3g lude
Prelude Enthusiast
Prelude Model: 89 si

Re: someone please help me!!

Post by 89propaganda 3g lude »

yeah it reduce the ecu error code.
and for the spark plug its just carbon dirty no oil.
for the spark plug wires i have ngk but idk how old they are but to me they look pretty new to me when i bought the car.
and i talked to a mechanic yesterday he said to replace my o2 sensors and fix my my exhaust leak that was causing the strong fume of gas that was in the engine bay.
the spark plugs are bosch and they are gaped correctly
for the engine timing idk cause i have no clue how to time it or set it it would be great if you guys can help me out with that also
by the way do you guys know how to reset the ecu?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

Heading out the door for a mt bike ride, so in a flash - to reset the ECU, some say just pull the radio/clock fuse and let it sit for a few minutes. I don't trust that method. Fuzzy logic remains in place on purpose ...... so I always unplug BOTH cables from the battery, let it sit for 20 minutes.

Make sure that ALL options in the car are turned OFF. AC, fan, radio, etc. Make sure you have the codes for the anti-theft unit system if you still have the Honda radio, because once the juice is removed you have to have that code to activate the Honda radio.

With all accessories OFF, re-connect the battery cables. WITHOUT TOUCHING THE THROTTLE, start the engine, and again, I reiterate DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE PEDAL FOR ANY REASON. Start the engine and let the car run at idle for at least 6 minutes. Shut the engine off.

All fuzzy logic memory should now be wiped from your ECU. Start the car up and drive as normal. ECU will remap itself accordingly. Best to do this process AFTER you have everything repaired and running as normal as possible. BUT, it doesn't matter. You can do this reset process as many times as you need to.

89propaganda 3g lude
Prelude Enthusiast

thanks
so about the engine timing can you help me out with that?

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Setting the timing is pretty straightforward, but you will need a timing light. Don't worry, they're not expensive.

Download the 1988 service manual from the manuals section (if you haven't already) and check out page 5-18. It has a great description of the steps you need to go through.

Please note that it is extremely important that you complete step 3 which has you placing a jumper on the ignition timing adjustment connector. Also, the step in the service manual lists the cover for the ignition timing adjustment connector as being black, which isn't always the case. Mine is yellow, so yours might be too. You can see it in the very top left corner of the attached picture.
enginebay2.jpg

89propaganda 3g lude
Prelude Enthusiast

thank you
you guys have been a great help to me.
and i also have a lil problem when i rev the car up to 5-6 there a lil miss fire do you know whats the cause of that?

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

Glad that we've been able to help. That's what we're here for. Ask and you shall learn........

Good. No oil on the plugs. Carbon, black, soot, whatever you want to call it, recurring that fast is most likely to the bad 02 sensors and the ignition module on the dist. Engine running lean, too much fuel, dirty plugs. Get those things fixed and that exhaust leak off the manifold or the downpipe and you'll be close to having this car ready to pass inspection.

I would suspect that the misfiring you're referring to is a combination of the other things that need to be repaired, ignition mod, dist, 02, etc.

PS == SPIFFY! How dare you post that picture of that FILTHY engine bay on here!! Absolutely DISGUSTING. You should be ashamed. We DO have standards here at PDriver. Now, go clean that mess up and then come back and post again. ;-)

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

I agree. The misfires are probably just a result of some of the other problems. The ECU is probably just dumping too much or too little fuel at high rpm causing the engine to skip a beat. Sort out what you know, and then re-check.
RedRacer wrote: PS == SPIFFY! How dare you post that picture of that FILTHY engine bay on here!! Absolutely DISGUSTING. You should be ashamed. We DO have standards here at PDriver. Now, go clean that mess up and then come back and post again. ;-)
Sorry Red. I'll get right on cleaning up the waterspots. :lol: