Clutch problem

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

adam_smith
Prelude Enthusiast

Clutch problem

Post by adam_smith »

Recently when i was changing gear i put the clutch down, i heard a noise and there was a spring by my feet, which after a bit of research i think is a return spring from the clutch. The clutch pedal is now very loose and tends to bounce around after taking my foot off it and on top of that the car wont go into gear at all. Anyone have any idea how i might go about fixing this or am i going to need a whole new clutch pedal?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Clutch problem

Post by spiffyguido »

If a part fell out by your feet, I suspect that the pedal mechanism may have failed. Get your head down by the pedals and look up under the dash. You'll be able to see where the pedals are mounted. Check to make sure everything is properly put together there. If the clutch pedal is flopping around, you won't be able to depress the clutch and that would certainly prevent you from getting the car into gear.

FYI, the mechanics of the clutch pedal are documented in the service manual (see manuals section at top of page)

adam_smith
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by adam_smith »

thanks il give it another look, and see if i can see aything and il take a look at the manual ive been trying to find a picture of the mechanism to give me more of an idea where exactly iy came from but no luck so far

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Page 12-3 and 12-4 in the 4th gen service manual.

decreasingbrandon14
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by decreasingbrandon14 »

well my clutch return spring didn't come off, but my clutch pedal lost all pressure eventually. Also, would not go into gear. Ended up replacing and bleeding the slave cylinder. The part only cost me 12 dollars at advanced. Was better than when I first bought the car.

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

Glad you got it fixed and to know it was the clutch slave cylinder. I would have suggested that as well, after hearing your eventual symptoms.

That's good to know what the fix was. Helps others who come here with the same or similar problems, to find out what the fix was.

But, where did that spring come from? Have you found that out yet? Need to know where that goes eventually.