Hello, New prelude owner, long time honda owner...

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Rick_1138
Prelude Enthusiast

Hello, New prelude owner, long time honda owner...

Post by Rick_1138 »

Hi folks,

My names Rick and i live in the North east of Scotland in Aberdeen.

I have been a long time honda owner, my last car being a UKDM DC2 integra type R that i restored from a sorry state to near showroom condition, ran it for a couple of years but have now moved on to a 4th gen VTEC prelude.

I had bought a cheap 2.0 non vtec car and found a car on ebay that had a broken engine that had a very nice interior that i was going to swap into the 2.0.

However it turned out that the VTEC car is only having starting issues but is otherwiose a superb car but the last owner simply could not get the car to start after various issues.

So i have come to this forum to see if anyone has some tips.

So far i have diagnosed some issues:

The car gets fuel, the fuel pump primes on ingition.

I am getting a good spark.

The distributor housing and rotor have been replaced.

The CEL is not coming on as far as i can tell.

the airway is clear.

all lights come on on the dash and there is plenty of power in the battery.

The engine turns over well.

I have tried squirting in "easy start" (basically ether") but still no joy.

I have looked on the forum and other places online and like the integra, i know the main relay can go, but this would stop me getting a spark which i am getting, and any standard on car immob, should again stop the car from sparking.

My main thoughts are, the car may have slipped its cam belt, throwing the timing off, but it should still at least start, and the cranking engine sounds smooth and even poor compresion should still at least offer to start with "easy start" sprayed into the air intake.

Does anyone have any areas that could be an issue with these symptoms that i could check.

If i can't source it myself it will be going to my local independant garage to look on there diagnostic computer.
But anything that i can look at to also eliminate would be great.

Many thanks

Rick :D

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Hello, New prelude owner, long time honda owner...

Post by spiffyguido »

Hi Rick,

Welcome to the forums.

Timing problems are a possibility. It's certainly worth double checking the timing if you have doubts about it.

Check that your plug wires are correctly connected to the distributor as well. Perhaps they're just in the wrong order. Make sure that the injectors are in good order as well and properly connected.

You should be able to get at least a burble out of the engine if everything is hooked up correctly. Keep watching for the CEL to illuminate.