Air conditioning pump/compressor

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

elpachio
Lude Dude

Air conditioning pump/compressor

Post by elpachio »

Hiya,

My 1995 Prelude has started making a loud "whooshing" sound when I start the car, and when damp I get a screaching when I turn out of my drive, like a loose belt. The loud pump sound comes in when I turn sharply and go to park, or when the car is cold.

A local garage told me my air conditioning pump/compressor (I assume the pump is the same thing as the compressor) is perishing and needs replacing, and that the screach is a loose bearing on the a/c belt pulley.
Even with a/c switched off I get the noises, presumably because I either have to fix the compressor and bearing, or bypass the air con system completely.

Honda wants a grand for a new compressor. Any ideas where I can get a cheaper recon one, or a cheaper part?

Thank you,
Steven

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Air conditioning pump/compressor

Post by spiffyguido »

You might be able to find one at an auto wrecker, or even a reconditioned one from an automotive parts store.

I'd check with Honda to see if there is a kit to rebuild the compressor and just replace the bearing that is causing the problem.

Also, the loud noise you hear when cold and when you turn might be your power steering pump, not the AC compressor.

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

That's pricey for just the compressor ----- does that include clutch parts as well or is that the price quote for installation of just a compressor? Even if that thousand includes clutch and parts, it's still to much for just parts and no install. If it's parts and install, a thousand or close to it is pretty well within the norm. Ridiculously overpriced, yes, but about right.

If they want a grand for just the compressor, then stay away from that Honda dealer, they're raping you.

There is a website that Honda dealers are working together on - Honda eStore. You put in your zip code, choose parts or accessories and then the site gives you a list of Honda dealers in your area and selling their parts online. A lot of them will give discount prices and then take another 10 percent off that price.

If there is a dealer near you, call and ask them if you come in and buy from them over the counter, will they sale for the same price to you directly that was their internet price? Most will.

If there isn't a dealer near you, you can look around for the nearest ones and have them ship the part to you.

I found the compressor for under 500 at a local Birmingham dealer on the eStore site.

http://estore.honda.com/asp/Logon.asp?bhcp=1
Image1.jpg

jacedub
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by jacedub »

Hey anyone who may Have advice I have a 92 prelude, this morning on the way to work I had hit a bump and heard a small clunking sound. Almost as if a small rock had hit my under carriage, so I thought it wasn’t a big deal and continued the last few miles to work. When I got there it was making somewhat of a squealing sound then when I shut it off. it made another small clunking sound, because it was dark I was oblivious to the fact the it was the clutch for my ac compressor was lying on the ground (found out a lunch when I got back to the shop. I am wondering if it is at all possible to bypass the ac compressor, will it harm anything under the hood?

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

What exactly do you mean by bypass the air compressor?

As in no longer using it? i.e. to no longer use the air conditioning system?

Sure you can, just don't push in the AC button on the dash, or go ahead and remove the AC fuse from the block. Not trying to be a smart ass, but that's all that is needed to "bypass" it, just don't turn it on.

If you're not going to use it, and have no plans to ever use it again, you can remove (or have someone remove) the entire AC system from the car and you'll shed a few unwanted pounds of weight. But only disconnect high pressure AC hoses if you know what you're doing. You can kill yourself real quick chopping into a pressurized AC system. Leave it to the pros to de-pressurize the system and correctly recover the refrigerant in the system if you don't know what you're doing or have the recovery equipment. Releasing it into the air is bad for our planet and our health.

The thing is, a new Honda clutch set isn't going cost a little more than $150 bucks. So if the system is still working ok, then if you can, just replace the clutch. If you live in a hot climate or a wet climate that requires you to be able to de-humidify the air to clear glass, then you might want to think about how miserable it is to not have a working AC, not to mention how dangerous it can be when you can't see out of your front, side and rear windows.

Also, consider that if you ever decide to sell the car, a working AC is a + factor.

Just covering all the options.

jacedub
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by jacedub »

Thank you for the help as I am new to owning a prelude, and I don’t want to wreck anything as I just got the car. Am I able to replace the original belt that runs the ac, alternator, and water pump with a shorter belt? So it just runs the alternator and water pump, until I am able to get my hands on a new ac clutch set.
Again thanks for the help and patience I am trying to learn as much as possible about this, they are amazing little machines

I also know this is a common sense question but i would rather make sure that it will work by someone who knows a little more about engines than myself. :D

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

You may be able to find a belt for that, although I don't know what length it would need to be. Just make sure that the way the new belt configuration would serpentine around the pulleys allows sufficient surface area to contact the pulleys.

jacedub
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by jacedub »

So pretty well just make sure that I keep it as tight as it is around all three ?

Again thank you very much for the advice

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Yes. Tight, and make sure the belt width is the same.