Speedometer

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

arthur
Prelude Enthusiast

Speedometer

Post by arthur »

hey guys iv been looking around on the net trying to find why my speedo goes straight to and gets stuck on the 40km/h mark when i turn my car on and when i turn my car of it drops back down to 0km/h but i cant find anything which is similar to this problem. has anyone had the same problem or would know of a solution?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Speedometer

Post by spiffyguido »

That sounds like an electrical problem to me. The needle of the gauge is driven by an electrical current, so there might be a short somewhere driving a constant current to the gauge.

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

Agreed with Spiffy, sounds like an electrical issue. Lots of little factors that can mess with the sensitive electric components of the gauge cluster in these cars. I had an alarm installed that was acting up and it was causing my LED fuel gauge to stop functioning somehow. So it can be something really indiscriminate....you just have to chase it down.

I'd suggest looking in the manual (download link at the top of the forum page header under Manuals) or you can use this direct link which will automatically start the manual download >> http://www.preludedriver.com/manuals/4t ... 2SS000.pdf

Download the manual, go to section 23, page 166 (23-166) and start working on the flow chart for troubleshooting the speedo.

Could be a circuit board issue, a connector issue, could even be the speed sensor itself.

arthur
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by arthur »

its all good now, problem jst fixed itself. if it happens again ill jst get an auto sparky to take a look.

RedRacer

Post by RedRacer »

Well that's the best kind of fix you can get! Just that those kind drive me crazy because I sit up at night wondering when it will stop working for good! LOL

An auto sparky. I've only heard that term before when I was in Australia. Are you from the lucky country?

arthur
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by arthur »

lol yea i am, electricians are called sparkies and its a car so i jst thought it would work out, wasnt sure it was an actual phrase.

RedRacer

Post by RedRacer »

There's a place in Alice Springs that is actually named that. They do electrical repair and sell parts, etc.

Where are you?