Clutch makes a bird sound when pressed

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

alfredo25r
Lude Dude
Prelude Model: JDM 94 Si VTEC

Clutch makes a bird sound when pressed

Post by alfredo25r »

Hi, since 2 days ago I have a problem at the moment of pressing the clutch, it makes a sound like a bird and it is very annoying, also since I bougth the car (4 years ago) I noticed the cluth pedal is so hard, I don't know if that is normal or not because I have drived different cars and felt the clutch very soft but mine is too hard.

I don't know exactly which component to replace, somebody know which are the major components?.

Thank you!

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Clutch makes a bird sound when pressed

Post by spiffyguido »

The squealing sound is likely coming from your clutch release bearing. These have a tendency to wear out with time. Also in the area is a spring for the release bearing and the clutch fork. Whenever I've changed a release bearing, a new spring has come in the package, so these can be changed together. The fork should be just fine.

As you'll have the tranny out of the car to make this fix, you should also consider it a good chance to put new axle seals in your transmission housing to prevent future leaking.

And, of course, it's a good time to check the condition of your clutch and pressure plate and replace as needed.

alfredo25r
Lude Dude

Post by alfredo25r »

spiffyguido wrote:The squealing sound is likely coming from your clutch release bearing. These have a tendency to wear out with time. Also in the area is a spring for the release bearing and the clutch fork. Whenever I've changed a release bearing, a new spring has come in the package, so these can be changed together. The fork should be just fine.

As you'll have the tranny out of the car to make this fix, you should also consider it a good chance to put new axle seals in your transmission housing to prevent future leaking.

And, of course, it's a good time to check the condition of your clutch and pressure plate and replace as needed.

Thanks, I will try to find a new replacement for the clutch release bearing on ebay. But I'm pretty sure the squealing sound comes from the clutch pedal not from the tranny, My clutch is like this one Image and I've applied grease but the sound is already there.

alfredo25r
Lude Dude

Post by alfredo25r »

Also I forgot to say that I already have changed my clutch disk, pressure plate and clutch release bearing, I bougth an Exedy stage 2 clutch kit like 5 months ago.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

If your release bearing is new, it's likely fine.

Time to get your ear down by the clutch pedal and see if you can find the source of the sound. Some grease might be all that's needed.

alfredo25r
Lude Dude

Post by alfredo25r »

spiffyguido wrote:If your release bearing is new, it's likely fine.

Time to get your ear down by the clutch pedal and see if you can find the source of the sound. Some grease might be all that's needed.
Yes, I already have done that today, but I can't find the source, I suspect it is the clutch master cylinder and the push rod, I've already applied grease to the push rod, to the clutch assist spring but nothing, the sound is already there, maybe I need to buy a new clutch master cylinder?

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

I can't see how the clutch master cylinder would make noise. Maybe the input shaft, but on the cylinder itself. The sealing system is very complex, and partially bathed in fluid, so I don't think it would squeal...It may, but I'd suspect other things.

alfredo25r
Lude Dude

Post by alfredo25r »

Problem solved, spiffyguido you were rigth some grease was all that's needed. I've looked on to the manual, and there is an entire section for the clutch pedal and there says the clutch assist spring and the locknut C need grease. Just in case I greased all the clutch pedal components and the bird sound is gone.

Thanks for the help.

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

Isn't it great when things that are seemingly going to be HUGE and EXPENSIVE to repair turn out to be nothing more than a bolt or some grease?! I LOVE THAT WHEN IT HAPPENS!

This is great info to know. Glad you found the problem and got it solved! :)

RedRacer

Post by RedRacer »

I thought I put up a post about this problem...... but I don't see anything with my name other than this and the one I just posted right before it.

Am I imagining things or did my post of what I thought the problem might be, not make it onto the board?

:? :?

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

RedRacer,

I think you may be thinking about this: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=854&p=3343#p3343

Different forum topic, but similar.

RedRacer

Post by RedRacer »

AH! Yes, ok. That's where I suggested we start a new thread directly related to the clutch topic because it had segued to clutch from the idle thread. OK. Thanks Spiffy, I thought I was developing Alzheimers! :|

spiffyguido wrote:RedRacer,

I think you may be thinking about this: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=854&p=3343#p3343

Different forum topic, but similar.