Crank but no start

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Roenell34
Lude Dude

Crank but no start

Post by Roenell34 »

Ok, got the alternator fixed, seat fixed, noise in the front end when hitting bumps diagnosed. Then today I went out to start the car and it cranked over fine, but the CEL stayed on and the 4th gear indicator light was flashing. I tried three times and it wouldn't start. No fire at all. I came back about 2 hrs later and it fired right up with no problems. I cant find anything in the manual about a CEL and a flashing 4th gear indicator. where do I start guys. My gut says fuel pump issues are about to arise.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

Roenell34
Lude Dude

Re: Crank but no start

Post by Roenell34 »

Oopss.. for those that haven't seen my other posts. Its a 92 SI with a 2.3l Auto.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

When you turn the key to the 'ON' position (not cranking, just on), do you hear the fuel pump prime? If not, there might be trouble.

The 4th gear indicator light flashing may indicate a problem with your automatic transmission. I believe it is possible to read the error codes of the transmission by looking at the Automatic transmission control module which should have a blinking light on it. This may be viewable through a flap in your passenger side footwell carpet.

The manual available in our manuals section does detail how to collect automatic transmission error codes, I believe.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

You may also want to learn about the main relay problems that some people have with their 4th gens. This can cause starting trouble and seems to be worse when the vehicle is warm.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=608

Roenell34
Lude Dude

Post by Roenell34 »

I was listening for the fuel pump and did not hear it. HOWEVER I have never listened for it in the past. So I wasn't sure. But it would make complete sense that could be a problem. Sad part is it looks like it may be an intermittent problem until it finally goes. I assume there is a relay somewhere under the hood for the fuel pump. Maybe I will look for that and keep a light tester handy for the next time it does it. After thinking about it... it cranked a little extra, earlier in the day when I drove it. None the less I will try to locate both relays and see what they look like. I found a parts car at the local junk yard so I can get some stuff off that to at least get this thing dependable before I do any upgrades.

Wouldn't the main relay cause no power to anything if it were faulty

When the alternator was on its way out last week the 4th gear light flashed. But it went out. Haven't seen it back on since then. Would main realay issues cause the transmission computer to think there are tranny problems?

Roenell34
Lude Dude

Post by Roenell34 »

I read all the links you gave me. I am pretty sure its the main relay. The temp as been up in the 80 to 90s and very humid. Last night and this morning it started fine. No CEL and no flashing 4th gear light. When the light does flash it blinks constantly. I have not yet tore the dash apart to get the CEL codes or the tranny codes. I dont think I will have to.

So I did crawl under the dash and Im pretty sure I found the main relay. Under the driver side, an orange is colored bax about the sive of a pack of cigarettes. It sits by its self and has a metal bracket thats bolted to the body. Is that it. Can I get a new one? Will NAPA or advanced auto have one? Or do I need to go to a dealer. Any idea how much they are? I will pull it later this week and see if I can find the wire that needs to be re soldered.

Roenell34
Lude Dude

Post by Roenell34 »

So the car started fine this morning. SO I drove it to work. Temp got up to mid 80s today. I tried it a lunch and it started fine. Come 6pm when I was done with work it wouldn't start. So I crawled under the dash and put my hand on what I thought was the main relay. It clicked when I turned the key. So I looked deeper and found the right one. Ironically once I got it out it said right on it.. "Main relay" I tapped it against the metal frame of the dash and the car started up. No CEL or flashing 4th gear indicator.
When I got home I unplugged and took it apart as directed in one of the links and resoldered it. So tomorrow we will know if it worked.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Glad to hear. Looks like you might have found the problem. Keep us posted.

Roenell34
Lude Dude

Post by Roenell34 »

It was 80 Degrees and humid yesterday. I left the windows up. It started fine. Next mission, replace front left Shock and spring assembly. Spring is broke. THEN heater/ vent controls. Blower works but cant seem to direct the air. Look for posts :lol:

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Trouble with the temperature slider have been discussed before:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=665

Feel free to start a new thread if you need for that topic.

Roenell34
Lude Dude

Post by Roenell34 »

Im getting heat. But its not blowing out of any one place. It sounds like the direction selector. I can hear the motor move between vents and feet but even then its not coming out strong from any one place. At this point I just need to crawl under there and see exactly what it is and is not doing. Just shooting from the hip my guess is somewhere in the selector on the dash. The more I dig into this car the more things I find that have been taken apart and not put back together with all the screws or something. A little to hot to be crawing under right now :lol: .

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Be sure to pay close attention for any vacuum lines. Some models of Preludes have HVAC routing that is powered by vacuum line, although I'm not sure this is the case with the 4th generations Preludes. If so, there will be a vacuum line from the engine hooked into the firewall somewhere.

Roenell34
Lude Dude

Post by Roenell34 »

OK. Ill look for that. Ill let u know when i get started Im sure LOL. Your help has been priceless already.