92 prelude SI Battery light after washing

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Roenell34
Lude Dude

92 prelude SI Battery light after washing

Post by Roenell34 »

Hey everyone. My name is Ron. Last night, after a three month shop, I bought a 92 Prelude SI (i belive its an SI still trying to learn what makes it an SI) Anyhow, she needs a little work but Im cool with that. First step was a bath. I sprayed the engine compartment with 409 and hosed it down with the garden hose (not the pressure washer just yet) and low and behold....battery light came on. I knew the positive terminal was crapy so I changed that first. Then, with the help of one of the manual I puled the plug off the back of the alternator ad the light goes out. I haven't yet had the chance to get my hands on a volt meeter but when I do I will try the rest of the diagnostics.I drove the care home tonight, about a 30 min drive. With the head lights and radio on and it didnt seem to discharge at all. Lights stayed bright and it started right back up after shutting it of when I got home. ?????? Any thoughts?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: 92 prelude SI Battery light after washing

Post by spiffyguido »

Either your alternator is failing, or there is trouble in the wiring. You're going to have to get a voltmeter out to tell for sure. The alternator might have started on its way to total demise. Sometimes they just get weaker and weaker until finally not delivering enough to charge the battery at all.

Start by checking what type of voltage the alternator is chucking out. Before you do though, be sure to check your wiring over really good. Clean the battery posts (baking soda and water works well) and check all the connections.

Roenell34
Lude Dude

Post by Roenell34 »

Thanks, I have checked as many connections as I could, shy of opening the wire looms. I have the manual on my computer. There is some stuff in there about disconnecting the ABS module and checking the SRS fuse. The SRS fuse is fine but I have not located or disconnected the ABS module. Tues I will follow the manual with a voltmeter. Thanks for the advise.

Roenell34
Lude Dude

Post by Roenell34 »

It was the alternator. I drove it two more times. On the second trip I had to run the defroster and stereo. About 15 min into the trip the Speedo and Tach started cutting out. I found a used one right around the corner and got it replace before the end of my shift for 100 bucks. Next project will be the heating. Check for a post on that one LOL. Thanks for the help.