Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

jpskiller
Prelude Enthusiast
Prelude Model: 2.3i Auto 1992

Cam belt Change

Post by jpskiller »

Just purchased car and in next month or two want to do a big service,
not sure when car had cambelt last done and it now has 81,500 miles on so to be on safe side what parts should be change ie belts. etc and wheres a good place to source parts from

never had a car requiring cam belt change, previous cars include old mercs / jags and they just run forever

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Cam belt Change

Post by spiffyguido »

Yes, changing the timing belt is a good idea.

If you're in the states, www.hondautomotiveparts.com is a good place to source parts from. They've got great prices on OEM parts.

When you do the timing belt, it's usually a good idea to also do the cam oil seals, the water pump and the belt tensioner. These are inexpensive and require the belt to be removed to replace, so it's good to do all at once.

wickwear
Lude Dude
Prelude Model: Si

Post by wickwear »

I just had the cambelt changed out on my 92 SI and I also had them replace the water pump. They re-seal the cam head cover and had to do it twice because the first time they broke the center bolt that holds the cover tight. They were very responsible about it and got it all fixed. My issue is that it seems like (I have the DOHC) the cam shaft that is closest to the steering wheel, (not the one in front by the front of the car) was moved a little to the passenger side of the car. So now there is a little gap between the end of the valve cam cover (and the seal that is there) and the end of the cam shaft. I know that I am loosing a little oil as a result of the gap. Its not a whole lot, but in my thinking that also might mean that I am loosing compression, regaurdless I want to fix the leak. Here is my question, When changing the cambelt could the cam have been moved slightly? Or is it an issue with the seal on the side of the cam cover? I will try and get some pictures to illustrate what I am trying to describe. Sorry for the crapy explanation....Thanks

Do we have a place/post for member's rides?
Here is a winter picture from about 2 years ago, its the only pic I have right now of my lude, I'll post some better ones later
Febuary Snowstorm 08 (3).JPG

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

That's a great photo!

There's a prelude pictures thread in the Just For Fun forum. Lots of people have posted pictures there.

Regarding your camshaft leak, I'd love to see pictures of it.

prelude95
Lude Dude

Post by prelude95 »

by looking at the car looks like it an h23motor is it an auto? changing the timing belt is a pretty big job but it can be done. n no the cam will not move out of place just by taking the belt off but it will get out of time if not careful, n that will cause some damage.

wickwear
Lude Dude

Post by wickwear »

So here are the Pictures.
I have the H23 motor and it is a manual trans.
HPIM1963.JPG
HPIM1967.JPG
HPIM1965.JPG
Pic above, So at the end of the cam shaft, is that gap supposed to be there?
HPIM1971.JPG
HPIM1974.JPG
Two pics above, You can see where the oil is dripping down the engine, when I place my finger under the end of the cam shaft I can feel that the oil is dripping from that spot, thats why I question the gap or seal.
Any help is appreaciated, thanks

prelude95
Lude Dude

Post by prelude95 »

that gap that ur talking about is not suppost to be there but the look of the picture, looks like someone put to much silecon on ther where its not shut all the way or the gasket is hang out allowing it not to shut properly. but hondas are pretty bad at leaking around that area where the seal for the disributor is leaking. what i would do first is change out the valve cover gasket first and clean off those orange silecon, and when u put the new gasket on make sure its not falling off while puting it on. i would put some high temp silecon slightly over the gasket just to keep it in place while u turn the valve cover over to put it on. n remember that the bolt are easy to snap off so dont tighten up ur valve cover too thight. clean off all the old oil mark around there after, that way u know if its still leaking, n if it is there im sure its the seal for the distributor. hope this help!

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

I agree. Definitely time for a new gasket. When you've got the valve cover off, have a good look at where the gasket seats for any damage.

wickwear
Lude Dude

Post by wickwear »

I took it back to the shop and pointed out the leak to them and they got it all fixed up. No more leak (at least from there) Thanks for the help guys