Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Tenten
Prelude Enthusiast
Prelude Model: 1992 SI

Where's The Leak?

Post by Tenten »

Greetings All!

I'm new the Forum and to Preludes. I have a 92 that I just got running. I'm have two problems. One is the ABS light "CLICKS" on after I start and roll a couple of feet and the other, I guess there's a power steering fluid monster out there becuse it vanishes after a drive and I always find a oil map of the US when I move the car! I looked under and it seems to be dripping from the right side some where.

I see only dirt and sludge around the oil pan, not too much oil around the filter but it looks wet. Above it, I can see A hose that is wet with oil but not leaking. If you back up and move to right of the header it just run off and oil.

Help?

Ten10

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Where's The Leak?

Post by spiffyguido »

Welcome to the forums. Glad you're here.

Regarding your ABS system. Does the ABS system shudder when you roll to a slow stop? If so, your wheel sensors may be to blame for the ABS light. I'd also check your ABS fuse because if it's blown the ABS light will come on.

Regarding your power steering. Is the power steering fluid topped up? Does the system leak power steering fluid? Does the system make a whining sound as you steer?

Regarding your oil leak. It sounds from your brief description that the oil might be leaking from somewhere high up on the engine, maybe the head gasket or valve cover gasket. When pinpointing an oil leak, it often helps to start with a clean slate. Get some engine cleaner and (on a cold engine) wash your engine so that you can see new leaks as they develop. If you're trying to find a leak amongst years of built up oil, it will take forever to find the source. If the dirty areas are hard to wash, get under your car with a rag and clean things up by hand. Take a flashlight under the car with you if you have trouble seeing. You may even spot the leak while you're under there. Fresh oil leaks are often shinier than the surrounding areas because the oil stream hasn't had a chance to collect any dust yet.

Tenten
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Tenten »

Thank you for your reply.

On my ABS, I really don't hear anything. Everything is nice and smooth. Then I I hear a "click" and the light comes on. I looked at the fuse, it's a one that controls the ABS motor. I couldnt tell if it was blown but it had corroded a little. I had it tested and they said it was okay. I tool the car to a transmission shop for one of those free 65 point check deals (chessy) and the guy said I needed a control sensor. Would that cause it?

The PSF, I only hear the sounds when it low ( after a day) when it's full it's fine, no noises. None while steering. I'm not sure where it's going? I don't see any fluid around the resevoir. There is a hose coming from the bottom of it and it's wet. The pump is or seems fine. i dont know..

Before I got the car running, I got a new valve cover gasket. I will take your advise. I've driven the car a handful of times and it was okay but I really wanted to get on but unitl I get this figured out, I will wait for that.

Question, may sound silly but could tire size trigger a ABS light? When I bought the car the guy left me with 14" steel rims on the front and 15' Motegi DB7's on the back. I'd kill for some stock 15"'s!

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

It's probably a wheel sensor that is causing your ABS light. Having larger rims shouldn't be a problem. Quite often when people get an ABS light it's because one of the wheel sensors has fouled up. Sometimes they're broken, sometimes they're just gooed up with dirt and grime.

Is there any power-steering fluid on the underside of your hood? Sometimes the power steering pumps leak from the shaft seal and will disperse fluid all over the engine bay. A bad shaft seal can also cause bubbles to form in the reservoir causing it to overflow and spill. If you power steering reservoir has fluid all over the outside of it, that might be your problem.

Tenten
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Tenten »

sir,
You maybe onto something about the power steering. I did look once while the car was running and noticed it bubbling inside. I also notice that the top or reservoir is wet. What do I do to fix this?

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

You need to replace the power steering pump shaft seal. It's about a $15 part from Honda, and the install isn't too bad.

I put together a write-up on how to do it for the 3rd gen. The procedure will be similar, so it might help you.

http://www.harleyc.com/prelude/writeUps ... fault.html

Basically you need the new seal, and enough tools to loosen the belt tension enough to take the pulley off. It's pretty easy.

wickwear
Lude Dude
Prelude Model: Si

Post by wickwear »

I know there have been a lot of posts about the ABS light coming on but I have the same situation as Tenten, and haven't been able to figure it out. My light will click on after a couple seconds of driving and stay on. To give you some history, I have had this issue ever since I took ownership of the car about 2.5 years ago and have't really thought about it until recently, when I got some work done at a shop and mentioned the problem to them, he immediately showed me that the ring around the axel (part that detects deceleration, its on the passenger front axel) was missing. Apparently whoever did work on the axel before I bought it didn't know what they were doing. I actually had the mechanic replace the entire passenger side axel and that included the ring for the ABS sensor. Still the light was triggered to come on. I have checked the fuse and it is fine. I cleaned up the end of the sensor really good hoping that would fix it but it didn't. So what else could it be? My brakes don't shutter when coming to a stop either. The mechanic said he couldn't find the issue either, but I was wondering if there were any other issues that others might have discovered to fix the ABS light-problem. I didn't really see a why to replace the actual sensor part, but please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Wickwear,

Your experience is exactly the same as mine. My light comes on as well. I do have the collar on the axle, and I've checked everything else, so I'm convinced that the sensor is to blame. I haven't spent the money to replace it, but I bet if I did, all would work fine. Cleaning the sensor only works some of the time. I think sometimes they just wear out. I've been meaning to try and find one at the local auto wrecker and swap it in, but haven't done so yet. Perhaps you can try that. If all the wiring is good, and the fuses are intact, the sensor should be reading unless it itself is malfunctioning.