Opening up the Dash-board

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

wickwear
Lude Dude
Prelude Model: Si

Opening up the Dash-board

Post by wickwear »

Hey, I want to try and fix my trip Odometer. It has been broken for as long as I have owned the car (2.5 years) and I want to finally see if I can open the dash and fix it. I think that the numbers just got off the spinning part because the counter is working, I can hear it tick as it counts the miles. Anyone open the dash before, that could give me some pointers or direction. I have the manual downloaded but haven't tried yet. Any help or ideas would be great! Thanks

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Re: Opening up the Dash-board

Post by RedRacer »

Not anything I'm familiar with or have done. I know that doesn't help you much, but I didn't want to let your question sit here like nobody saw it or read it.

I've always dreaded the day I have to get inside the guts of my car's dash.

Maybe someone else will be able to throw some info at you.

In the meantime I'd suggest just Google it and search around as much as you can. Might even want to check a local salvage yard and see if there are any dead 4th gens that might be around you locally, and you can go "study" their dashes (take it apart like you're looking for something, to get the knowledge you need on how yours is put together) just an idea. I've done that before, and actually found it helpful. Beats tearing your own car apart because scrap cars are usually already dismantled to some degree. Kind of like a real-life "exploded view" picture.

The only other thing I can suggest is make sure you take pictures of things before you take sections apart, note where stuff is and how it was before you disassemble, put all your screws and fasteners and clips in a place where they won't be lost and most of all, be meticulous and take your time. Otherwise things get lost or broken and you end up with a rattling, loose dash.

wickwear
Lude Dude
Prelude Model: Si

Re: Opening up the Dash-board

Post by wickwear »

Thanks for the advice, I never thought about going to the scrap yard to do a "trial run" thats a great idea. The trip odometer isn't huge but I would like to fix it, I'll just have to see when I can get around to it, Thanks!