How to increase performance

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

B-lude94
Prelude Enthusiast

How to increase performance

Post by B-lude94 »

Hi, I don't know much about cars, but I have a hunger to learn, and love to go fast.

I have a 1994 S, stock everything, and would like some tips on how to increase my horsepower. Where would be the most basic place to begin? Something as simple as a cold air intake? I really have no idea. So maybe just throwing around some ideas would be awesome :)

Thanks.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

B-lude94
Prelude Enthusiast

Re: How to increase performance

Post by B-lude94 »

My car has an ECU chip right? I heard that changing this could increase the horse power and acceleration by 20%?

H22A4
Lude Dude

Post by H22A4 »

Never chip your ECU before making mods. Make all your mods and chip your ECU last. You will have to learn a whole lot before even attempting to chip because if you do anything wrong your engine is screwed.

http://92lude.com/perfmods.htm

That link is to some free mods you can do yourself (for learning) and add quite a bit of horsepower. With your f series engine, I'd first suggest an engine swap... maybe an h22 or h23. H22's have Vtec; these give a bit more power to your car at higher RPM. It is possible to make an H23 Vtec but you're just learning (as well as me). A simple cold air intake is super easy to install and gives a nice amount of horsepower. That'd be a first to do.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

I agree.

Don't re-chip your car. Most of those chips are a scam anyway and could do harm. ECU chipping is a pretty advanced mod to do, and if you're going to get into that, you want to do it right by getting a new ECU that allows for easier tuning such as an AEM.

Start with either dropping in a more powerful engine or easier yet, some basic performance add ons. Bolt up a new exhaust and cold air intake. Upgrade the suspension. Get a header. These things aren't super hard to do and they will add some snap to the throttle and make the car corner even better than it already does.