jdm climate control

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Red2010_2008
Prelude Guide

jdm climate control

Post by Red2010_2008 »

what would it take to hook this up in the prelude? Is It direct plug in? :?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-HOND ... ccessories

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: jdm climate control

Post by spiffyguido »

I doubt that it would plug directly in.

The output of that digital unit looks like only wiring, and so there has to be some servos, switches, etc external to it to adjust the heating system. The HVAC system in your car is actually quite complex, so I suspect that you will need parts beyond the control unit to make it all work.

Have a look in the manual in our manuals section for information on the Heating/Air Conditioning system. The system is actually very well detailed, and you may be able to decipher what additional parts are needed to make it all work. Having digital climate control would be kinda cool.

My $0.02.

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

No it's not easy.

That's a part designed for a Japanese domestic market vehicle. Totally different than what you've got in your US domestic vehicle.

You'd have to wire everything in yourself and it's not the easiest task in the world from what I've heard.

S-LudeDan
Prelude Guru
Prelude Model: 1996 Honda Prelude S

Post by S-LudeDan »

It's a complicated install, but the more research you do the easier the install becomes.
You also need to make sure that you have all the components needed for this mod, and there are quite a few.

There are many write-ups and DIY's online. Just search Google.

Good Luck!

troyly
Lude Dude
Prelude Model: 94 Si with vtec swap

Post by troyly »

Your lucky... i successfully installed my JDM digital climate control in my 94 lude last december 2009...
without removing the dashboard. yes, it is fully functional with all the sensors and motor installed.

the most important tool u will need is soldering iron. u will need this tool to melt and make holes in ur dashboard.
this way u dont have to remove the entire dash.
see pic... http://www.modchipworld.co.uk/store/ima ... g_iron.jpg

NO. u dont need the complete JDM digital climate control unit to make the system work. if u install the digital climate control
unit without all the sensors and motor the climate control still work, but in order to change from hot to cold u will need
to reach down to switch the hot/cold cable by hand (if u dont have the motor installed).

YES. without all the sensors installed ,the unit will work too, but the auto function wont.

these functions will work if u installed the digital climate control without the sensors and motor... rear defroster function will work, in car circulation function will work, AC, fan, and mode (to choose which vent to blow air from) function will work, temp up and down switch will work (but since u dont hav the motor installed it wont do u any good), OFF switch will work, demist function will work.

Note: Dont remove the entire dashboard becos its not necessary. thats why soldering iron is very important tool to melt and cut holes.

to sum it up... if u install the digital climate control without all the sensors and motor it will work just fine, but the auto function wont and
the hot/cold function need to be switch by hand by reaching down.

http://www.jrcormier.com/index.php/prel ... atecontrol

troyly
Lude Dude

Post by troyly »

Oh, one last thing... This is for those who install the complete unit with all the sensors and motor...

1. to fix the reverse hot/cold function, u need to unscrew and reverse the motor metal bracket. u need to use drill for this for new holes.

2. to install the evaporator sensor, u need to unscrew all the bottom screws of the evoporator box and pry it open a bit and pull the old sensor out... and push the new sensor in.

3. to install the Power Transistor, u need size 8 wrench (or size 6 i forgot) and carefully remove the screw on the blower unit. this is the hardest part becos the space for ur hand is so small, but hey, i did it. unless ur crazy enough to remove the entire dashboard.

4. there is one wire JDcornier didnt show u on his diagram... that is blue/yellow wire to be connected for ac.

5. to cut hole for sunlight sensor on ur dash, u need to use soldering iron to melt ur way it. to cut the hole for in-car temp sensor and in-car tem sensor hose u will need to do the same.

if u have ques please feel free to ask me... that is if im not too lazy to reply.

troyly
Lude Dude

Post by troyly »

Another one last thing... haha.

1. i bought the complete unit from ebay last november 2009 for 68 plus 45 for ship. i know, i got so damn lucky within the last
five secs. note... dont try to look for complete unit on ebay becos it took me a year and a half to find it and out bid others. there is
one place that sell the complete unit with all the sensors and motor for 225. yahoo it.

2. the wiring isnt hard at all. its pretty simple just follow the JDconier wiring diagram. study the diagram carefully.

3. it took me total of 6 hrs to install, on and off of course for five days. what can i say, im too lazy to install it.
little by little can take u a long way.

4. if u pay someone to do it or remove the entire dashboard to install it ur an... i???t.

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

Good tips and link for those who may want to do this. Thanks for the info!

But I have to ask, what's the point in having the unit if it is non-functional from it's original design and application intent? Just for looks? :wink:

If I were going to go to the trouble of getting a JDM unit, I would want it to operate as it should, with the automatic controls and functions fully working as intended.

wsbottos
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by wsbottos »

"
NO. u dont need the complete JDM digital climate control unit to make the system work. if u install the digital climate control
unit without all the sensors and motor the climate control still work, but in order to change from hot to cold u will need
to reach down to switch the hot/cold cable by hand (if u dont have the motor installed).
YES. without all the sensors installed ,the unit will work too, but the auto function wont.
these functions will work if u installed the digital climate control without the sensors and motor... rear defroster function will work, in car circulation function will work, AC, fan, and mode (to choose which vent to blow air from) function will work, temp up and down switch will work (but since u dont hav the motor installed it wont do u any good), OFF switch will work, demist function will work."

Hi dont know if youll reply but, my friend gave me the control unit for the digital climate control (ie the part where you control everything) just wondering could you clarify what will and wont work if i just swap for this directly? also im all up for doing the full conversion just messing with the evaporator is a scarey thought for me, am i able to install the motor without touching the evaporator, what can i install without touching the evaporator and having to regas the ac. what functions will i have/not have
my emails wsbottos@gmail.com feel free to email me directly cheers

troyly
Lude Dude

Post by troyly »

Im too lazy to reply... haha. :P

Just follow the the direction below, but dont tear your dashboard apart of course.

http://www.jrcormier.com/index.php/prel ... atecontrol

The digital climate control unit ur friend gave u will do just fine. u dont need all the sensors and motor to make it work. i believe i explain it nicely which function will and wont work without all the sensors and motor installed.

the wiring part is super easy too just mix and match the color.

I SUGGEST YOU INSTALL THE COMPLETE UNIT. you can buy all the missing parts you need below... see link.

http://www.jdmnz.com/new-productpage-26/

thats it for now. im lazy.

wsbottos
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by wsbottos »

thanks for your help!
so far i have installed the mode control motor, air mix motor and will do all the sensors, if the blower resistor is not put in what will happen? . i got extra parts for the blower uni one part looks exactly the same as whats already in there do i still replace that? and the other part im not sure.

but to sum up
have installed air mixer and mode control without removing evap or the heater unit (installing in right hand car)
what else do i need to make it function? will be wiring the sensors up next week