ABS light wont go off

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

flyinhawaiian93
Lude Dude
Prelude Model: '92 Si

ABS light wont go off

Post by flyinhawaiian93 »

The ABS light wont go off. It just recently started doing this. What does it mean and should i take it to a shop?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: ABS light wont go off

Post by spiffyguido »

Check the fuse.

If the ABS fuse has blown the light will stay on all the time.

flyinhawaiian93
Lude Dude

what about if it comes on but goes off if i restart the engine?
Thanks

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

I'm confused. In your last post you asked what if it comes on but then goes off after you restart the engine....? So, is it coming on and staying on now, or did it do it just the one time and then went off when you restarted the engine and now it has not come back on?

If it is on, is it just steady on or has it flashed any number of times before becoming steady or while steady?

There are many things it could be. If the ALB sensors detect a problem the control unit will memorize the problem and store the code. The only way to get those codes are with an ALB Checker, which unfortunately is not a piece of tech equipt that a lot of people have just laying around.

It could be anything from a fuse to a low voltage reading, to a bad pump motor, a leak in the high pressure lines, bad speed sensors or pulsers. Many things.

There are two fuses for this system. A 15 amp B2 fuse and a 20 amp B1 fuse. They are located in the fuse block under the hood on the passenger side firewall, near all the ABS equipt. The 15 amp B1 fuse is the usual culprit.

Even driving for longer than 30 seconds with the parking brake handle pulled up at least 3 clicks, will set the system in standby and turn on the light. (which is good to know if you ever really do want to turn off the ALB system manually -- just restart the car to reset it)

Other than the fuse, there's not a lot you can do yourself with a malfunction in this system unless you're graded as a technician on ALB / ABS equipment.

The good thing is, that this does not not mean your vehicle's braking system is not working correctly. Your regular hydraulic braking system is not affected by an ALB system failure. You will and do still have full functionality of your regular braking system. BUT, as long as that light is on, you do NOT have the use of your anti-lock brakes, so don't depend on them to save you in a hard skid or wet conditions. Keep your distance from other cars in inclement weather and pretend like you're driving your grandfather's Buick from 1975.

You can take it to a local mechanic or a Honda dealer. With this system in particular, I suggest only a REAL certified Honda mechanic with the right tools OR a Honda dealer. (be prepared for big bucks if it's a major problem...ALB is not cheap to repair)

flyinhawaiian93
Lude Dude

haha wow my bad
It would randomly come on while i was driving but when ever i restarted the engine it would go off. I read up on the manual and it said it'll come on if i drive on rough roads, i think that was the problem. But just to be safe while i was getting new tires and i got them to check the brakes to make sure everything was fine because i had a a bolt pop off in my front passenger brake a while back.
But i just wanted to ask yall since i dont know to much about the car other than the basic checks and so on.
Thanks though

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

So, everything is working alright now? Glad to hear it!

And Happy Birthday! from us here at PreludeDriver.com

flyinhawaiian93
Lude Dude

wow im a little late here
but yea everythings good
and thanks