Clutch Problems

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

ikilledfire007
Prelude Enthusiast
Prelude Model: 1994 Prelude S

Clutch Problems

Post by ikilledfire007 »

I had a clutch installed on my 94 Prelude S, and it has less than 6000 miles on it. It slips constantly, press too hard on the gas pedal, slips and revs up. It hasn't gotten any worse, nor has it gotten any better. I find it hard to believe that the clutch could be bad after so little miles on it. I have no clue as to what could be causing this problem. Open to all suggestions as to what could be causing this problem. I really don't want to spend the money to install another clutch and have the same problem occur. Any advice?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Clutch Problems

Post by spiffyguido »

A few things come to mind:

Was it the right clutch and pressure plate that were installed? Any chance the wrong parts were used?

What was the condition of the flywheel? Was it cleaned correctly on reassembly?

Are your clutch pedal or master or slave cylinders potentially to blame? Have you followed the clutch adjustment steps?

ikilledfire007
Prelude Enthusiast
Prelude Model: 1994 Prelude S

Post by ikilledfire007 »

For the first 4 questions, I actually cannot answer well. I didn't install it, my grandfather did and I don't have a way to get a hold of him. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance there.

The slave cylinder is just a little older than the clutch itself. How do I go about checking the master cylinder? And no, I have not yet. Waiting until tomorrow when it isn't raining anymore.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Perhaps just start by following the adjustment procedures in the manual and see if there is any odd behaviour. I guess I'm just wondering if something is getting stuck when you release the clutch preventing it from fully hooking up.