New member with questions

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Derek R
Lude Dude
Prelude Model: 92 SR

New member with questions

Post by Derek R »

Hello everyone! I'm gklad I found this site. I recently purchased a 1992 Honda Prelude SR. I decide to change the timing belt as I could not conform the last time it was done. No major problem there. I also was having a problem with the clutch slipping, so I decided to cahnge the clutch at the same time, Following the CHILTON manual I have most of the passengers side of the engine bay torn out. My problem started when I got to removeing the transaxle to engine mounting bolts, the manual sayd there are 4 of them but I can only find three, Two of them are at the very top of the transfer case and painted red, the third one I belive is one of the two bolts that hold the satrter on, as for the fourth???? I have found a nut (not a bolt) hidden under a wire harness on the back side of the engine (firewall side) it's location is at approx the same height as the starter bolts, it seems to be connected to what I would call a stiffner. Is this the correct nut the manual is refering to as a bolt or should I be looking for another bolt head altogether???? Now on to the next questions. The CHILTON Manual says the Manual Transmission uses engine oil not ATF or gear oil. Is this correct and if so can I use synthetic, as I'm located way up in northern Alberta where winter hits lows of - 40'c and colder. My next question is about the SR on the car, every where I look up parts seems to list the Prelude as S, SI, where does this SR come in? I would like to know as I never quite sure which parts to order. Next question the VIN plate on this car is blue, every VIN plate I have ever seem prior to this was silver in color what does this mean? I'm sure I will have many more questions as time goes by. Hopefully someone can answer these questions for.

Nice to meet every one.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: New member with questions

Post by spiffyguido »

Congratulations on your purchase.

I can't comment on how many bolts there are between the tranny and the engine block, but I can relate to them being tricky to locate sometimes. Usually there are about 2 on the top, one at the back near the differential, and a few on the underside. Some of them are longer than others and go through deeper holes in the tranny case. Just keep looking along the seam between block and tranny and you should be able to find all of them. There may even be one that bolts the other direction (engine to tranny).

For more information on the tranny, try checking the 4th generation manuals in the manual section linked at the top of every page.

Manual Transmissions do use engine oil. I live in a pretty cold climate and I use Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W-30. It works great and doesn't goo up even when it's -45C here.

My VIN plate is blue too. I've seen this before. Not sure what it means.

SR is a Canadian trim level as far as I know. It's really just an SI. Most important is for you to know the engine that you have. Most parts of the body are the same between trim levels.

Derek R
Lude Dude
Prelude Model: 92 SR

Post by Derek R »

Thank you spiffyguido for your quick reply. I would have responded faster but got busy with the lude and never had a minute to thank you before now. The tranmission is now lying on the garge floor, and yes there are only two main bolts up on top of the case. You as well have to remove the satrter, which most be the other two bolts the CHILTON manual is refering too. I will swap the tranny over to Synthetic when I put it back in which could be more of a pain as the clearance issues are bad. What a tight fit. I would like to really clean the tranny case prior to re-installing it but am concerned about what to use as well as getting any of the cleaning agent inside the tranny through holes like to speed sensor. Any recommendations as to what to use? Brake cleaner, De-greaser, just plain soap and water??????

Thank you again

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

A degreaser would probably be the best option, or good ol' fashion varsol.

Lay down some newspaper or something. Get some rags and some old toothbrushes. Wear gloves and work in a well ventilated area and go to town. A quick scrub down will go a long way.

Bender's lude
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Bender's lude »

http://www.superhonda.com/forum/f146/ch ... post317136

This is a pretty good info site for manual transmission fluid, other Prelude owners who seem to have experience.