Which prelude'S do I have?

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Nosmo
Prelude Enthusiast

Which prelude'S do I have?

Post by Nosmo »

I was going to ask this without sounding like a nob, but I don't think I can. I have 3 preludes. I is a Red 2.2 v-tec auto 1992. Sweet as a nut.The wife uses it every day.It has abs 4ws and the analogue dash The 2nd is a 1991 2.2 maroon auto. I needed the tow bar and it was cheaper to buy this than a tow bar. It is taxed and mot'ed so I'm using it. All the electrics are messed up. It dose not have the abs and I'm not sure if it has a v-tec. it also has an analogue dash. The 3rd is the best.1994 silver 2.2 v-tec manual. No abs, no 4ws,digital dash and goes like the wind.She puts a big grin on my face every time I get in to her and that's before I turn the key.
Now put the 3 along side each other and the red and silver ones look the same. The maroon one haws no spoiler and the stoplight in the back window, It has the same interior as the red one.Only a lot "cheaper" the gray one has a better layout inside,A lot better.I think(guessing) that the maroon one is one of the first ones and it shows.It drives superb and the fuel economy is better than on the red one.It has 4ws but it doesn't work. In fact a lot of the electrics don't work as they should.But hay £200 t&t who's complaining.
My question is. How do i tell if it's a v-tec? and all this jbm, h22a ect..I know all three are imports. (small number plates and jap "tax disc")
Any help please
Thanks
Nosmo

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Re: Which prelude'S do I have?

Post by RedRacer »

The 1991 is a third generation Prelude, made from 1988 -1991. Depending on the car's destination, determines what engine(s) were made available.

Third Generation Engine Assignments:
B20A/B20A1 - 2.0L DOHC PGM-FI 143/160 hp (Japan/Europe)
B20A3 - 2.0L SOHC carb(12v) 104 hp Canada/US
B20A4 - 2.0L SOHC carb(12v) Non US
B20A5 - 2.0L DOHC PGM-FI 135 hp (101 kW) US
B20A6 - 2.0L DOHC PGM-FI 142 hp (106 kW) Australia/New Zealand
B20A7 - 2.0L DOHC PGM-FI 150 hp (110 kW) Europe
B20A8 - 2.0L DOHC PGM-FI 133 hp (99 kW) Europe
B20A9 - 2.0L DOHC PGM-FI 140 hp (100 kW) Europe
B21A - 2.1L DOHC PGM-FI 145 hp (108 kW) Japan (SI States)
B21A1 - 2.1L DOHC PGM-FI 140 hp (100 kW) Canada/US

I am not too familiar with the third generation vehicles, as I own a 1995, fourth generation Prelude.

The fourth generation Preludes were made from 1992-1996. There were multiple engines available in these cars, based on geographical region as well. Too many variants to list. Check out the Wiki article on Preludes. VERY informative.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_Prelude

As far as identifying which engine block you have, the engine stamp is in the same place on most Honda engines, you can look at the pictures I've posted and find the code for your engine block.

Just to be specific, I am giving you a third generation and fourth generation image. (click on images to enlarge)

On the third generation 1988-1991- Look in the area I've highlighted in the green circle. The number engraved in the aluminum is the number for your engine designation. It's on the flat area just below the black rubber plug that fills the timing port.
engine-9.jpg
Essentially the same place on the fourth generation 1992-1996. Again, highlighted in green.
SDC10030.jpg
You can also break down the VIN and determine your car's model, year, country of origin, transmission type, engine type, etc. Check this article on VIN's as well -
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_Id ... Identifier

Most Prelude owners will swear by their own specific Prelude as being the best car ever, of course. I like all Preludes, but am particularly fond of the fourth generations, in general.

I agree with you in your like of driving your 1994. The cars are just so well designed and engineered, they're a blast to drive and they do "go like the wind". My 1995 is perhaps the most fun car I own, never get tired of driving it, and I still get looks and comments from people in traffic, at gas stations, etc. Great little cars!

Glad to have you here at Prelude Driver! Feel free to ask any question(s) you may have, we'll do our best to give you the answer(s).

Nosmo
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Nosmo »

Thanks Red Racer.
They are all The same body shape. But the 1991 is a lot less spec.If there is a bottom of the range,this one is it.If you compare the 1994 manual to the 1992 auto there is a large gulf between them.The interior is the same colour. seats are the same. the back is different and they have (in my option) broken the flowing lines of the dash by putting switches on it. On the 94 the switches ore on the center console. Also my dog always turns the hazards on as its right by the hand brake. The 94 is more comfortable to sit in alough the seats are the same and I know it sounds stupid but it's "warmer"more inviting, and the smell.Not that air freshener smell, that smell that comes from the car. It is the best of the three.It he same manner the 92 auto and the 91 auto are exactly the same, but the 91 is cheeper.The cloth,the carpets everything is not of the same quality. Insurance is a nightmare,when I say its a 91 they say there from 92 onwards. But the log book and the import paperwork say 91.
I have some photos, I'll see if I can put them up.
Thanks for your help.
Nosmo

S-LudeDan
Prelude Guru
Prelude Model: 1996 Honda Prelude S

Post by S-LudeDan »

Just wanna add that in Japan 4th generation Preludes are 1991 - 1995, in USA 4th generation Preludes are 1992 - 1996.
I think this is what was confusing to the readers in the beginning lol. Hope this helps.

Nosmo
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Nosmo »

Thank god for that.Thanks s-ludeDan, I'm not mad.When everything you know tells you it's 91 and everyone tells me I'm wrong.You begin to doubt the facts
Ive put 2 photos on my site. There not that good as there all I have( I'm no David Baily) and the sites under construction.

S-LudeDan
Prelude Guru

Post by S-LudeDan »

lol, congratz!!! you have a true JDM lude imported from Japan by ship.

post pics of all your ludes if you can!

Nosmo
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Nosmo »

Sorry Its late in the uk I will take some more tomorrow,but have some at http://nosmo.co.uk/moters.html
Goodnight
Nosmo

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

I had forgotten about the early year editions on the third and fourth gens for the Japanese domestic market. Since I have never had to deal with them, not something that sticks in the back of my head.

But S-Lude Dan is right. The 3rds came a year before global market and the 4ths did as well. I remember seeing a guy in a huge online argument because his white 91 was a JDM and he didn't know any better other than that it was a 1991 and claiming as such. Yet everybody was just tearing him apart because they attested to know so much about the cars, and said there was no such thing as a 1991 in the 4th gen body style. Guess they didn't know as much as they thought they did.

Don't you love it when people who swear they are the end all of knowledge on a particular thing, and in actuality they know nothing at all? Funny how that works. ;-)

Nice looking cars -- glad you have saved them.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Am I the only one that wants the baby blue Mini?

Nosmo
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Nosmo »

Sorry to say I having probs with car, I will put a full post later but am very busy and don't have time.
Car stopped, Backfire,start,stop. Had to leave on side of road over night, went today found rotor arm snapped,had spare so replaced, now no spark. Gutted, had to get home. now 10.45pm. Food bed and try again tomorrow.I will post full story as soon as I get her back.I'll have more time then. Gonna take the whole distributor unit of my BB4 (not happy) see if it fits and try to get her home.
I don't want to keep her but I don't want her to get vandalized on the side of the road.Poor old girl.
Thanks Nosmo.

S-LudeDan
Prelude Guru

Post by S-LudeDan »

oh man...I hope all the best for you...keep us updated mate!