Fuel pump failure

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

elpachio
Lude Dude

Fuel pump failure

Post by elpachio »

My 95' Prelude conked out this morning while I was pulling away from a station, and then would not restart. A mechanic tested everything and deduced that the fuel pump has potentially failed, saying that it is clicking, but no fuel is getting through to start the ignition.

A couple of weeks ago my horn stopped working, which i guess is unrelated, unless anyone knows otherwise??

Anyway, he said fuses etc are okay, so it's a mystery until the garage take a look at the fuel pump.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Fuel pump failure

Post by spiffyguido »

Here's something to do:

After the car has sat for about 5 minutes or more, open the door, sit in the driver's seat, but hold your head outside the car. Then, turn the key to the 'on' position (don't run the starter). Listen towards the rear of the car for a whirring sound. You should hear a reasonably audible whirring sound as the fuel pump primes. If you don't hear that, then the fuel pump is potentially toast.

elpachio
Lude Dude

Post by elpachio »

Thanks guys, they finally fixed it today......ignition coil and module needed replacing.

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

Glad you got it figured out and repaired and thanks for coming back and telling us what the final disposition was. That's how people are able to find answers, when others share their problem and then come back and tell us how it was solved. Thanks!