Horn not working

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

elpachio
Lude Dude

Horn not working

Post by elpachio »

Hi, I have a 95 Prelude with a horn that was fitted (non-factory) many years ago, so it has a double horn as opposed to the original. Anyway, it has worked fine for years but has recently stopped working.
Nothing else appears to have stopped working, just the horn. I located a fuse "marked" horn under the bonnet but the fuse looks absolutely fine, so swapped it with compressor, and it still didn't work. I have run a meter off the terminals at the horn and it is not receiving an electrical signal when I depress the horn on the steering wheel, so I can only assume that no signal is reaching it. As the fuse is okay, would you suggest that the relay be a problem? or something else?

I did spray some battery terminal protector on the wires around the horn a few weeks ago - would this have potentially shorted the circuit to the horn??

Thank you,
Steven

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Re: Horn not working

Post by RedRacer »

Possible that the spray sealed off the circuit and closed it, preventing the proper current map.

First thing would be to pull the horn or horns and test them by putting battery power to one terminal on the horn while grounding the other terminal - horn should sound. If it doesn't sound, then it's just coincidence that your horn picked this time to give up the ghost and go to horn heaven, and now you can go buy a new horn. (try cleaning the terminals though, and the connectors that you sprayed, or just cut them and crimp in new connectors, and reconnect and see what happens)

I suggest you download the 4th gen Prelude manual here: http://www.preludedriver.com/manuals/4t ... 2SS000.pdf (it's about 53 meg, so might take a couple of minutes if your connection is not high-speed)

Go to the Electrical section (sect 23) and starting on page 23-290 go over the horn components, locations, wiring, relays, etc. then scroll through pages descending and roll through the suggested tests. Starting with checking to make sure the horn works, period.

elpachio
Lude Dude

Post by elpachio »

That's great, thank you so much for your advice. I'll give it a try.
Thank you

RedRacer

Post by RedRacer »

You're welcome! And please come back and let us know what you find out and what worked at fixing the problem. Thanks!

elpachio
Lude Dude

Post by elpachio »

I will do! One thing I have noticed actually is that my cruise control doesn't work anymore.........this runs off the same relay as my horn I see. My brakes lights, however, do work.
Do I assume that the relay needs replacing?

RedRacer

Post by RedRacer »

So hard to say with things electrical. It could be.

Does your speedometer work correctly? If the speed sensor is not working right, the cruise won't activate.

elpachio
Lude Dude

Post by elpachio »

Speedometer seems to be working perfectly. And I was also concerned about my brake lights as they are on the same circuit, but they work fine too. Just cruise control and horn. Weird.
I'll have a proper check over the weekend