My dash lights, power windows, and sun roof dont work? help

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

95lude
Prelude Enthusiast

My dash lights, power windows, and sun roof dont work? help

Post by 95lude »

I dont know what to do i have tryed every god damn fuse?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

Dang.

Dude, this is so not the answer you are looking for, but that's one that is really hard to diagnosis over a board forum.

It could be anything from integrated control units to wiring harnesses to a bad relay block.....

I wish I could tell you exactly what it is, but I can't.

All I can suggest is check all your grounds, check all the fuses again and make sure they're the right amperage.....get an automotive circuit tester and start pulling connectors and checking for dead circuits that should be live; pull on harnesses and wires and see if anything happens that will at least let you know you're in the right ballpark.

Otherwise, the best thing I can suggest after that would be take it to a local auto electric company or the dealer even and let them trace it down. Be prepared, tracing electric is not cheap.

Sorry you're stuff isn't working, I know it's frustrating as hell..wish I could offer more.

Electrical is not my high point, never has been. If it makes you feel any better, I was wiring the pigtail for trailer lights to my Jeep so I could pull my boat trailer....and I did something wrong and fried the entire wiring harness. Took out the brake lights, turn signals, headlights and interior lights.

$1,400 dollars later I have a whole new wiring system under the dash of my Jeep.

~ Josh

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

95Lude,

I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're having. Electrical stuff is never easy to troubleshoot.

As RedRacer said, go through your fuses again. It never hurts to check twice.

I would suspect that switches and / or relays are the cause of your problem. Which of your dash lights don't work? Have both of your power windows stopped working, or just the left one? Do your headlights, brake lights, etc still work?

Hit use back with more details. I think we'd all like to see you get this fixed.

95lude
Prelude Enthusiast

thanks for the help.

Post by 95lude »

its my break lights, sun roof, both windows, and dash lights. i just double checked the fuses. and yes both my head lights work.

RedRacer

Post by RedRacer »

Have you checked the main ground from the battery to the chassis? That being loose, corroded or in bad shape can cause all kinds of issues. I replaced my ground with aircraft grounding cable. Much better all around and I noticed a big difference in how much easier the car starts, lights work better, etc. Just info to share. But check that ground wire.

Your sunroof close relay and sunroof open relay (there is one for each), the power window relay and integrated control unit are all on the same block under the left kick panel, drivers side. I somewhat want to think the block itself or a wiring harness is part of the problem.

But, since the brake light relay is located on the block under the hood, by the battery, that sort of shoots down my theory about the fuse/relay block under the kick panel being bad.

Did all of this happen suddenly and all at once or was it progressive.. one thing failed, then the next, the next and so on.......?

Are you getting a brake light failure/brake lamp out on your dash?

Do you have regular analog gauges for your tach and speedo or do you have the electroluminescent gauges?

Is there any water leaking under the dash or into the tail light lenses?

95lude
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by 95lude »

It all happened at once. and no lights come on on my dash. yeah could be water damage my gf left my door open all night but it happend 4 days later?

RedRacer

Post by RedRacer »

I am at a loss. I just have no clue where to go with this problem. It's so much and nothing is even close to a pattern or reason.

The rain/moisture coming in is a slight possible cause, but not so much so that we'd be seeing all this and with separate systems, front and rear.

All I can say is get it to a auto electric guy and have him take a look.

Sorry I can't wave that magic Honda wand and tell you the solution to your problem.

Josh

unrealfein
Prelude Enthusiast

Re: My dash lights, power windows, and sun roof dont work? h

Post by unrealfein »

hey!!
just wondering if you found out what this problem was.. i am having exactly the same problem with my lude

Daluz
Lude Dude

Re: My dash lights, power windows, and sun roof dont work? h

Post by Daluz »

im having a problem with my dash lights also, but everything else is working so im guessing that its just a bad fuse