Front license plate

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

Frenchylicious6
Prelude Enthusiast

Front license plate

Post by Frenchylicious6 »

Hey guys, i got a ticket about 4 days ago for not having a front plate on my car.. i knew it was inevitable.. but now i'm wondering how i can actually put a front plate without gettin in the way of the vent hole in the front.. if anyone knows i would really appreciate it.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

I'm guessing that you removed the license plate base that affixes to your front bumper?

You've actually asked a difficult question, because there are not many places that a license plate can be put on the front of a car. If you really don't the plate covering the vent on the front of you car, then I think the next best option would be to get one of those license plate holders for inside the car that stick to the front windshield. This, I think, is slightly unsightly, but it'll keep the plate off of your front bumper.

I did see someone once put their plate behind the bumper, but they had a body kit on their car and the plate was fairly visible. If you have a stock bumper, my guess is that putting the plate behind the bumper would make it very difficult to see.

I'd also ask your registry if they offer vehicle registration window stickers. Where I live you can get a window sticker to replace a license plate. They do this to accommodate people with classic cars that aren't equipped with a place to hang a license plate. Up here, these stickers are quite small, so they really don't interfere with the look of the car.

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

You can order the tag frame for the front bumper online. It's like 15 or 20 dollars...too much for a piece of plastic, but hey, it's new, and it comes from Honda so you know it will fit. DON'T MAKE HOLES IN YOUR BUMPER!!

Order it or go to the salvage yard and find one.

Link to Majestic Honda.

http://tinyurl.com/yw4ua3 (it was huge, so I made the link small)

I think its part number 7. Product # 110965

Call them up and they can tell you what you need.

95 BB2
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by 95 BB2 »

you can also buy a license plate re-locator from passwordjdm, you can simply place it on one of the "slits/vents" on the bottom towards the side where the fog light is supposed to be. It won't block the vent that much.
here's the link to the part:
http://passwordjdm.com/PasswordJDM-Lice ... 73C50.aspx

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Nice find, 95 BB2.

Price is pretty good too.

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

Wow. That's pretty amazing. Somebody's going to make some cash off that.........I, however, based on that nice picture they gave, can easily manufacture one myself. That's a pretty simple piece of work....

Agreed, good find and if you have the means, you could make one yourself, but if not, get one of those.

BUT, there are laws that state the plate has to be located in a certain place on the front of the vehicle, usually the front center area. Before you drop the 50 bucks plus shipping and handling, I'd call the local DMV or police department and see if it's legal to move it to the left or right side.

95 BB2
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by 95 BB2 »

That is true, I do believe it would be simple to make, may not look as pretty but it will be behind the license plate, no one will see it, and you can paint it to what ever color and save yourself the 50.

I tried fitting my license plate behind my bumper yesterday, I wouldn't suggest it, the only way I could have got it to hold on would be with zip ties to the small "bars" on the bumper, its not good visibility and doesn't look good either.
Unless you cut the bumper on the bottom to be able to have the license plate straight up because mine would only fit tilted at an angle.

S-LudeDan
Prelude Guru
Prelude Model: 1996 Honda Prelude S

Re:

Post by S-LudeDan »

RedRacer wrote:You can order the tag frame for the front bumper online. It's like 15 or 20 dollars...too much for a piece of plastic, but hey, it's new, and it comes from Honda so you know it will fit. DON'T MAKE HOLES IN YOUR BUMPER!!

Order it or go to the salvage yard and find one.

Link to Majestic Honda.

http://tinyurl.com/yw4ua3 (it was huge, so I made the link small)

I think its part number 7. Product # 110965

Call them up and they can tell you what you need.
oh man! thanks a lot for that link! I have been looking for one of these license plate brackets for a long time. I also need one for my front bumper.

It's just two bolts right?

meanvtec
Prelude Enthusiast

Re: Front license plate

Post by meanvtec »

oreder the plastic backing plate from Honda

S-LudeDan
Prelude Guru
Prelude Model: 1996 Honda Prelude S

Re: Front license plate

Post by S-LudeDan »

Is Majestic still processing orders? I tried calling them and couldn't get in touch.