Free or cheap race prep

Fourth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

si96lude
Prelude Enthusiast

Free or cheap race prep

Post by si96lude »

I plan on taking my lude to the track soon. I was thinking about doing some small things to prep for the big day. I am taking out some unnecessary weight. I am thinking about removing some of the belt driven accessories like ac and air pump. Has anyone gone without power steering at speed on curves? I am not sure which accessories are grouped with which belts. I hope to find out tomorrow if the weather holds. The last Idea I had was to unbolt the exhaust from the cat back. I would trailer it to the track if it is too loud. I would appreciate any tips. I probaly will not get another chance to go to the track till next years B-Day money rolls in again, so I really want to make the most of it.

96 si(stock for a while)

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Free or cheap race prep

Post by spiffyguido »

I'd be leery of turning off the power steering. Not because the car will wrench your thumbs off (because it won't), but because you'd be modifying how the steering rack is intended to work. I can't recall the details, but I seem to remember reading about someone else who did that and their story ended with damage to the steering rack. Can't remember why. Just be careful. We can research this further if you're seriously considering taking it off.

You can take the exhaust off, but it's unlikely to help much. Honda engines actually need a bit of back-pressure, so you may even hurt performance. Also, be aware that with a short exhaust you're dumping hot exhaust under the car. Usually that won't cause a problem, but be aware.

Ac can go, for sure. Otherwise, get your tires properly inflated, check the safety of your crucial joints and lose any weight you can then head to the track.