98 Prelude timing belt broke at 65 mph

Fifth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

DeckDr
Prelude Enthusiast

98 Prelude timing belt broke at 65 mph

Post by DeckDr »

I was going down the hwy at about 65 mph in my 1998 Prelude and the timing belt broke and ripped to pieces. So, obviously the engine shut down and I took it out of gear immediately. My mechanic says that it tore to pieces and possibly bent valves. Is there two belts on this vtec? I don't think there is but he says there was two. Is he just an idiot or what? :D

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: 98 Prelude timing belt broke at 65 mph

Post by spiffyguido »

There's only one timing belt. Could he be referring to belt for the balance shaft?

DeckDr
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by DeckDr »

Yep, I'm the idiot.... the timing belt shredded and so did the balance shaft belt. So we put the new belts on and started it up and it was rough running so, SHUT IT OFF! Some valves are bent obviously.... Now, he will pull the head and do a leak test in hopes there was no damage to the pistons :| ..... So, obviously the head needs to be taken into a machine shop to replace valves and hopefully not much else, OR try to find a used head and slap it on there, as I saw on here? :) Looking for a used H22 is tough .... I'm Hopeful.... Thanks for letting me join your site! ~DeckDr

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Yes, a lot of people just opt to find a used H22 head to put on rather than mess with trying to repair the old one. You should really just get the head off to assess the damage though. If it's just one or two bent valves, replacing them can be pretty simple.