Sunroof Quesion

Fifth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

lmg516
Prelude Enthusiast

Sunroof Quesion

Post by lmg516 »

Hi, I'm new to this board and hoping to get some help with my 17 year old son's 98 Honda Prelude. His sunroof just stopped working all of a sudden. I don't think it is sunroof specific however, because the panel where the sunroof button is also contains the dimmer switch and cruise control switch and neither of those are working now either. I've checked the fuse, removed the instrument panel cluster (not sure if this is the proper terminology) and checked to make sure that the connectors are tight and they are. When I push the sunroof button...there is a clicking sound. Is it possible that this is a relay issue? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Sunroof Quesion

Post by spiffyguido »

The relay could very possible be the source of your troubles, however I would doublecheck the wiring as well. The fact that the dimmer and cruise control are also not working leads me to believe that there is a larger problem than just the sunroof relay. Check that you don't have a short somewhere.

If you go to our 'Manuals' section (see link at the top of the screen) you'll be able to download the electrical service manual for your son's car. The wiring diagrams without can be very helpful when solving these types of problems. Together with a multimeter you can easily check that each specific wire is working as it should.

Also, has any work been done to the car that might lead to such problems? i.e. was the dash previously taken apart to install an aftermarket stereo system, etc? Honda wiring is generally very good, so any time things like this come up, the first place to look is any area where the factory work may have been altered / damaged.

lmg516
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by lmg516 »

Thank you for the quick response! The car was recently in the shop, but not for anything that should have effected the sunroof or anything electrical. Although, the problem presented itself when the car was picked up. I picked the car up and didn't check the sunroof, so was not aware until my son told me later that day. The shop replaced a tie rod, inner CV boot, rear brakes and oil pan gasket. Didn't mention in my previous post...but I'm his mom...so I'm kind of muddling my way through everything as best I can. I did manage to locate the manual that you referred to and paid to download it before finding this site...only $20 though.

The shop did mention that the power steering belt and alternator belt need to be replaced, which I have scheduled to have done (not sure if this is pertinent) but just throwing it out there just in case.

I will check the wiring when I get home and see what I come up with.

Thanks again!

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Be sure to let us know what you find when you have a second look. Feel free to post pics of anything you feel is suspect.

None of the work the shop did would have any affect on the sunroof. The power steering belt and the alternator below won't have any affect either. Your problem is most likely related to the wiring or a relay.