Fifth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

brandon88
Prelude Enthusiast
Prelude Model: 1999

H22a4

Post by brandon88 »

GOT HUGE PROBLEMS..NEED ADVICE AND HELP PLEASE READ ON

Hey I'm Brandon new to this site but not to preludes unfortunately. I just bought my 3rd one its a 99 model and when i say jus bought i mean like at around 830 earlier tonight and well when i was talkin to tha guy before i bought it through text and email, he told me that he jus replaced tha motor cv joints um tha ball joints brand new radiator..i cant even remember what all it was. Anyways its on craigslist , little rock arkansas.

So ya when i got there which was a hour and a half away, close to a hundred miles tha car was sittin there purrrrrrin like a fat ass ca. Just so no confusion it was idling perfectly. So me and my uncle took a look under tha hood anyways, checked the plugs, plug wires, oil, radiator and coolant level, trans fluid, everything that we could right then and there and everything was perfect. And keep in mind, I asked this guy at least three times in tha same day was there any problem, cuz brand new motor and radiator and suspension seemed too good to be true.

So i was already kinda sketchy bout it, jus didnt seem right, but anyways movin on..and once more right to his face about any leaks, knocks, loose wirin..slippin trans, anything before i drove it a hundred miles, cuz i thought i had a car that was gonna last for years and years cuz thats what all my hondas have done so far. Amazin machines...anyways tha right front tire was very low, so i didnt wanna move it till i put bout a half a quart of oil in, only thing low, and jus a lil....so tha guy signed tha title and i paid him his 3000 happily.

Went in got tha oil, came out put it in..pulled around to fill her up no problem..so im thinkin its ready to go so i let my wife get in tha driver seat and roll out....or so we thought. No sooner than we pulled out tha station tha trans started jerkin and slippin like i was pullin a full sized pickup on a chain behind us...tha engine started lopin (steady jumpin from 500 rpm to around 1500rpm) needless to say i am devastated i need advice from somebody, anybody that can help....

Not to make this a sob story but my dad was jus diagnosed with terminal lung and liver cancer 3 weeks ago so now all the money i have is gonna have to go on his final expenses..i kno i should have test drove it first but wow, everything else on tha car was in such new and excellent shape i never would have dreamed tha trans was gonna go out before i got out of the parking lot good. Jus wow somebody please help me out...cheap parts easy fix, jus advice of things i could try, anything please, anytime of day, even right now. All advice and comments are welcome cuz i really dont kno what to do

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: H22a4

Post by spiffyguido »

Hi Brandon,

Welcome to the forums.

Based on your post, it sounds like your Prelude is having two main problems right now. You are having trouble with the transmission slipping, and you are having trouble with the idle bouncing.

Through our experience on this site, most problems with a bouncing idle seem to be caused by a bad Fast Idle Valve (IAC Valve). This valve is located on the firewall side of your intake manifold right next to the throttle body. It is cylindrical, mounted vertically and will have some coolant lines feeding into the bottom of it. If the idle bouncing only happens when the engine is warm and not when it is cold, this is certainly the source of your problems. If this is the case, let us know and we can tell you one to way to potentially fix the valve without replacing it.

Regarding your transmission slipping. As you didn't mention a clutch, I'm going to assume that you're talking about an automatic transmission. When an automatic transmission starts to slip, the first thing to check is always the fluid level. If you haven't already done so, be sure to check the level of the automatic transmission fluid on your car. If this is low, the torque converter won't get power to the wheels reliably. If the fluid level seems fine, then you may need to do further diagnostics or have the torque converter replaced.

I hope this helps. Feel free to post with more details so we can zero in on what's wrong.