h23a1-h22a swap no start

Fifth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

powerfox66
Prelude Enthusiast

h23a1-h22a swap no start

Post by powerfox66 »

Ok, I am new to forum and to hondas..a good friend had his h23a1 pulled and installed a h22a. the guy that did it cant get it to start.
What I do know is this..they swapped oil pump and put a new crank/tdc sensors in front of motor...they got spark, will start and run if spray in throttle body. noid lite test injectors very intermittent flashing. so it seems to me we got spark and timing is ok..

What sensors does ecm need to see for injectors?? 2001 prelude.. very intermittent injector pulse when using a noid lite...original harness, distributor, external coil, oil pump & a new tdc sensor from advance auto...they used injectors and intake from new motor, and motor did not have a ecu with it, so original ecu as well..viper alarm removed, and added 2 additional grounds from battery to engine & 2 more from engine to body

also checked grounds at ecu, and grounded ecu itself as well.. injectors measured 11.2 ohms from what i have read is high impedance injectors which should be used on the original 01 lude??

the ecu for the car...he did not get an ecu with new motor

The ECU that came with the car is a p5p so if i understand correctly, that ecu should also work with new motor??

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: h23a1-h22a swap no start

Post by spiffyguido »

Sounds like you're on the right track. Is the ECU throwing any error codes? It sounds like your problem is related to the fuel system only. If you're getting spark, that's what you're missing.

I know that the JDM distributor and coil is different than the USDM one, but since you switched these out for the originals, I don't see how this could be the problem.

One potential problem is that you are using a VTEC engine with a non-VTEC ECU. The H23A1 and H22A are mechanically quite similar in the block, but the H22A has a VTEC head and this may cause your starting issue if the ECU doesn't know quite how to time the injections for the new head.

thericepatch
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by thericepatch »

Actually, vtech and non vtech computers, distributors, injectors, etc are interchangeable, the only real difference is the activation of vtech to open the intake valves farther during high RPM usage. The ecu settings for injector pulse is the same for vtech and non-vtech motors.

powerfox66
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by powerfox66 »

I think I have a bad crank/tdc sensor, I believe there should be some resistance measuring between both terminals thru the sensor(I am showing open on both),pin 1(green) to pin 2(red) for tdc & pin 3(blue) to pin 4(white) for crank. but due to my lack of experience with imports I am not sure. as stated above someone else put in a brand new(advance auto) ckp/tdc sensor

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

There is supposed to be some resistance. Did you follow the instructions on page 11-88 to 11-89 of the service manual to check the resistance?

powerfox66
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by powerfox66 »

spiffyguido wrote:There is supposed to be some resistance. Did you follow the instructions on page 11-88 to 11-89 of the service manual to check the resistance?
i dont have any service manual for hondas

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

At the top of the screen, use the link that says 'Manuals'. You'll need the one for chapter 11.

powerfox66
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by powerfox66 »

lol talk about if it had been a snake... ok THANK YOU.. I have open circuit , should have 1.2-3.2k ohm, I guess it is confirmed bad new sensor..

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Yeah, if you're not getting any resistance across the sensor that's a bad sign by my reading of the service manual. Might be a good idea to get a replacement just to be sure.