Replacing Trunk Pan

Fifth Generation Honda Prelude topics

Moderators: RedRacer, spiffyguido

dave_in_md
Prelude Enthusiast

Replacing Trunk Pan

Post by dave_in_md »

I just purchased a salvaged 2001 Prelude and am very excited. The only apparent (serious) damage appears to be that the trunk pan is crumpled somewhat and needs to be repaired. Right off the bat, I'm having trouble finding a trunk pan, and so I have a few questions for the forum that I would be most grateful to have answered:

1.) How do most people repair re-end hits on the prelude? I see that you can buy the whole OEM rear floor from Honda for about $700, but I'm not sure I need all this. Do most people just abandon the car after a relatively minor hit, or it it reasonably repaired?

2.) Where can you get the parts? I would be happy with an aftermarker trunk pan. My labor is "free" and so I don't mind working out minor discrepancies.

3.) Any suggestions on the process of making this repair?

In advance, I would be very grateful for any advice / help on this. The car is in great shape but only had a slight tap on the back. Seems like the "hitter" went under the car and AFAIK only the trunk pan is rumpled. A lot about this car looks good!

Many thanks,

David.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Replacing Trunk Pan

Post by spiffyguido »

If the trunk pan is the only structural element that's damaged, you should be able to replace it straight out. You will, of course, have to replace other surrounding components (bumpers, signals, etc) if they're damaged as well.

I'm not entirely sure how the trunk pan is fastened to that model of car. It could be glued, bolted or even welded in place. The only way to find out is to review the service manual (see manuals section of this site) and start taking stuff apart.

For parts, we typically suggest www.hondaautomotiveparts.com. They've got great prices, and it's a reliable source of OEM goodies. For aftermarket parts, just start googling.

Post some pics!

dave_in_md
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by dave_in_md »

Thanks for the info / advice!

I can't find a "replacement trunk pan" anywhere, but do find a part: 04655-S30-A01ZZ 003 001 PANEL SET, RR. FLOOR on the Hondaautomotiveparts for $613.26 - Ouch! It looks like more than what I need, but I can't really tell from the picture. I'm sure I could cut out the pan and weld in a new one as you suggest IF I could buy a new one! If I have to bite that bullet and get the expensive part, then I guess I'll have to do it - still, I want to make sure before I go forward!

I went to the Service Manual (BTW, all the sections are not posted but I found the "Brakes and Body" part elsewhere. It is mainly about accessory repairs and not really for collision repair. I see there is a "Prelude Body Repair Manual" which is probably what I need but it's a little pricy and has absolutely zero reviews everywhere!

Do you or anybody have any feedback on the manual? I hate to buy a $600 part I don't need, but also I hate to buy a worthless $50 manual that won't answer my question!

Again, many thanks!

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

I don't know of any body repair manual. Sorry. There might be such a thing, but I've never come across one.

As far as acquiring the trunk pan, have you considered the possibility of finding one at a wrecker and cutting out the part you need? There's certain to be one at a wrecker, and it will be far cheaper than buying a new one.

dave_in_md
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by dave_in_md »

Thanks! I will definiately give this a try before buying the $600 part!