Can my prelude handle a turbo kit.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Putting a turbo kit on a 2001 honda prelude

Post by spiffyguido »

Short answer is yes.

But you really have to specify what type of turbo system you mean. The h22a engine is a great motor to boost, but depending on how much boost pressure you want to run, you may or may not need to do modifications.

What's your goal?

Ludddzzzy90
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Ludddzzzy90 »

I am actually turbo charging a 97 Honda prelude Jdm h22a with a garret gt35 how much boost do u think is safe to run with just cam gears

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

You'll need to do some calculations to figure that out. Cam gears won't make any real difference to boost tolerance over a stock setup.

The tech papers on the Garret website may help you a bit. They even provide an app to help: http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbobygarrett/webadviser

Boost tolerance even depends on where you live (due to atmospheric pressure) and whether or not you're going to use an intercooler.

If you really want to tune your car, I'd spend the money to pick up a book on how to size a turbo. This way you can learn the formulas and zero in on exactly the right amount of boost.

A book called 'Maximum Boost' is very popular. I have the version of the book for superchargers and it helped me a great deal when I had some questions about forced induction on my Prelude. A great way to spend $20.

Maximum Boost - Designing, Testing, and Installing Turbocharger Systems
Note: As an amazon associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.