Lightning striking, again

Discussions not related to Honda Preludes

Moderators: RedRacer, Moderators

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Lightning striking, again

Post by RedRacer »

Southern summer storms are so common here that we don't really think much about them. They are usually just lots of heavy rain and wind, but they almost always have a LOT of lightning.

We had a storm blow up Sunday afternoon and the lightning was intense! We heard one strike that seemed like it was right on top of us. We've had it blow up a tree in our yard before and it felt like the house had exploded, so we knew this one we heard was real close by.

Indeed, it was on the street behind us where the larger, newer houses in our neighborhood are being built....... it hit the roof of this house and within a matter of minutes it was burning and then fully involved. The homeowners weren't home, they were at a wedding of another family in the neighborhood..... A next-door neighbor got there right after the strike and was able to break out the glass in a rear door and get in to save the family dogs! Yay!

The fire department got there quick enough, but not before the entire upper floors were fully engulfed in flames. The upper floors were a total loss and the lower levels and basement suffered extensive water damage.

One of the things that is so great about living in a close and tight-knit neighborhood - the nearby neighbors who were home were able to call the actual homeowners and tell them what was taking place at their home, and were asking them what items they wanted them to save from their home. And with that information and permission, a lot of their family heirlooms and irreplaceables were saved.

We just watched though, stayed out of the way of those trying to help. We offered but were told they had it under control.

It's scary but it happens.

Would you be prepared? Would those around you? Could you help them and could they help you? Do you even KNOW your neighbors?! Some people don't.

Check up on that insurance policy and make sure your neighbors have contact numbers for you and you for them. And if you don't know your neighbors, then go knock on their door today!

Be prepared! (yes, I was a Boy Scout)

Right after the strike.  First on scene. No FD yet.
Right after the strike. First on scene. No FD yet.
Attachments
About 20 minutes later
About 20 minutes later

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Lightning striking, again

Post by spiffyguido »

Exceptional pictures, Red!

Without a doubt, you find yourself in more extreme weather situations than anyone else I know. Tornadoes, heavy snow, a tree falling on your car, and now this!

Really glad to hear no one was hurt, and the family pet got out alive too. Poor dog was probably traumatized. Looks like a nice home, so it's real sad it went up in flames. Mother nature can sure dish it out sometime.

I'm actually quite familiar with lightning myself. I've had it strike within 10 meters (~35 feet) of me on two occasions. First one happened when I was a kid (~5 years old) out in our acreage yard with black Labrador. My dad said I jumped about 4 feet in the air. The dog that I was with was permanently deathly afraid of thunder-storms after that day. The poor thing would hide in a corner or under a car and whimper whenever a storm rolled through. I'm betting the dog in that house might have similar phobias now.

Second time was just a few years ago. I'd taken the 'lude out for a spin to grab the mail. While walking back to the car from the mailbox lightning struck a pole (not power line) nearby. I'm pretty sure I felt a bit of a buzz in my legs that day, because I nearly collapsed. One of the loudest things I've ever heard.

The sound of lightning when it's close by is something else. Distant thunder sounds like a grunting rumble, but a lightning strike very close sounds like the space-time continuum is opening up.

Thanks for the pics!