I was hoping I'd never have to make this post...

Discussions not related to Honda Preludes

Moderators: RedRacer, Moderators

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: I was hoping I'd never have to make this post...

Post by spiffyguido »

elspectro29 wrote:
Off topic a bit, when I started the 91 today the fuel needle dropped all the way down to empty for a few minutes before rising back to where it should have been. Cause for concern?
Wouldn't worry too much about that unless it keeps happening. I've seen mine dip momentarily on startup as well. Think it might just be a voltage drop in the system as the engine spins up.

If it keeps happening you'll have to dig out the multimeter and see if the float is sending good voltage....and we all know how much fun that would be.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

elspectro29
Prelude Guide
Prelude Model: 93 S and 91 Si

Post by elspectro29 »

RedRacer wrote:Sure, I respect that one hundred percent. I don't think you will have any problem selling it. Just hate that you're having to do it. That's the same situation I'm in now. 5 / 10 years ago when I had all the tools and the time (and the money) I would have already had this block pulled and a new one in and on the road running. But now it's different. I don't have the time, the tools or the money and some of the skills I once had as well. Good luck and just post back whenever you have info. No pressure from this end. Still trying to work out the logistics to get there, get the engine out, crate it, transport it, etc. Thanks again!
I'll let you know regardless. Right now I want to get the paperwork finished, and that will happen later this week. I should be able to tell you more after I visit my insurance agent.
#3 has arrived

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

Just to clarify - I hope I didn't come across as sounding like "OH GREAT! HE'S GONNA SELL ME HIS MOTOR!" That last bit about logistics of travel, crating, etc. was just an "if" it were to happen kind of scenario. I don't want you thinking that you've somehow implied to me that you're going to sell me the engine out of your car at this point in time. It's all up in the air right now.

As much as I would like to get an engine from someone I sort of know and can trust, I would much rather you be able to sell the whole car to someone who can fix her and put her back on the road. And I really don't see that being very hard to do. In the meantime, you know how to reach me. And again, I am sorry you lost your ride to some moron. It happens though. ;-)

elspectro29
Prelude Guide

Post by elspectro29 »

Well, regardless of what happens, I plan on getting a 5th gen for my next car. I'm interested in a couple of them that are for sale in my general area. One is a black '97 Type-SH, and the other is a low-mileage 2001 automatic in Electron Blue Pearl. I know I said I want a manual, but for EBP I'll make an exception.
#3 has arrived

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Thats's a great color choice.

I have to ask though? Why move to the 5th gen? In my opinion the 4th gen was a better car. I suppose the challenge of finding a good one these days would prove to be trouble.

elspectro29
Prelude Guide

Post by elspectro29 »

That's part of it. All the 4th gens I see for sale around here are either beaten up or riced out. Virginia also is a haven for 5th gens for some reason. There are way more of them here than there logically should be if the production number of 58,000 is true. For that reason, they're often reasonably priced, especially in the Norfolk area where they're generally near or even a little below blue book. The seller of the EBP car hasn't replied to me yet, so I think it's been sold. My second color choice is white, as it's more common than EBP and still looks really good. And for the sake of completeness I eventually wanted to buy a 5th gen anyway. The accident just accelerated it.
#3 has arrived

elspectro29
Prelude Guide

Post by elspectro29 »

Just an update of things: I got the settlement check the other day, but I can't sell the 4th gen until I have the title updated, and to do that I have to send it away to the DMV central office in Richmond. On a more positive note, the search for a 5th gen is officially under way. The EBP base model was a scammer, and I don't want an automatic anyway due to the rampant transmission failures on them. Tonight, my dad bought a black '97 Type-SH, which I got to drive some. I had an absolute blast driving that thing, but it needs work. One thing I noticed about the 5th gen over the 4th is that the 5th has much more room in the back seat; I couldn't fit in the back of the 4th unless the seats were moved way up, but I had room in the back of the 5th.

Haven't had anymore problems with the 3rd gen.
#3 has arrived

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Good luck on your search.

Can't wait to see pics of whatever you find.

elspectro29
Prelude Guide

Post by elspectro29 »

In the meantime, here's a picture of me in the SH, taken earlier today.

Can't wait to get one.
#3 has arrived

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Good looking car.

Here's hoping you can find a white one. I've always liked 'ludes in white.

elspectro29
Prelude Guide

Post by elspectro29 »

After some more consideration, I've decided to stick with a 4th gen, but still a manual and still white as the preferred color choice. This way I can get some use out of the dead one since it still has lots of good parts. Besides, I keep getting the runaround when I ask how to update the title (everyone in ask says I have to go somewhere else) so the 30 day update period may lapse before I can get it fixed...

Anyway, I'm waiting to hear back from a seller for a white '94 S. Here's hoping.
#3 has arrived

elspectro29
Prelude Guide

Post by elspectro29 »

Another update: the seller of the white S didn't respond to me. However, I found another 4th gen that I find promising. Stay tuned.
#3 has arrived

elspectro29
Prelude Guide

Post by elspectro29 »

I got the replacement tonight. It's a black '93 S 5-speed with SE wheels and several mods. It also came with a bunch of spare parts including an extra hood (which is white), JDM parts (center console, parking brake, 2 climate controls, extra intakes, another header, stock parts for the things that have been altered (suspension, downpipe), extra F22 heads (2 A1's and an A6), an extra F22A1 block, and a Garrett TD04 turbo. The seller was going to boost it, but with 3 young kids he needed a 4-door so he got a WRX instead. I'll post pics of it when I can take them; it was nesrly sunset by the time I got to his house, so it was nearly 10 PM getting home.
#3 has arrived

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

Glad you found something. I went and looked at the picture in the pictures thread. That's a good looking machine.

From the picture, it looks like there's something going on with the paint on the hood, although I couldn't tell if it was just distorted because of the image quality. Perhaps you'll elaborate.

Any immediate plans for it, or are you just going to get it on the road on daily driver duty?

elspectro29
Prelude Guide

Post by elspectro29 »

The hood paint is mostly just your typical clear coat peeling. There are also a couple of small dings on it. I'm not worried about those right now. The biggest thing that it needs is a new set of tires, so I'm going to knock that out ASAP. I may swap out the tires from the '95 since they're still in good shape. At least for a little while, I'm going to rotate the '93 and '91 for daily driving, but when I'm driving somewhere further away I'm going to take the '93. Even with regular upkeep, the '91 probably only has a few years left without major work needed. My dad was originally going to restore it before he bought the Type-SH. In a few years (probably when I turn 30) I want to get something newer for a daily driver; probably a 9th gen Accord, 3rd gen TL, or TSX, and leave the '93 as my weekend cruiser. I haven't decided whether to keep the TD04, but if I do I would probably boost it at that point.
#3 has arrived