An Old Friend - My 86 Lude

Discussions not related to Honda Preludes

Moderators: RedRacer, Moderators

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

An Old Friend - My 86 Lude

Post by spiffyguido »

I was digging through some old photos on my computer the other day and stumbled on a picture of my old 86. Cripes I miss that car.
prelude.jpg

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

elspectro29
Prelude Guide
Prelude Model: 93 S and 91 Si

Re: An Old Friend - My 86 Lude

Post by elspectro29 »

Those wheels fit that car perfectly. Did you have 2 sets, or did you put them on your 3rd gen after the wreck?
#3 has arrived

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

It's the same set. I transferred them when I had moved from the 2nd gen to the 3rd gen.

The pic is of my second 2nd gen. I hit a deer in my first 2nd gen, so the one pictured actually never died an untimely death. I drove it until a few years ago until it was vandalized beyond reasonable repair. The happy end to the story is that many of the best parts of that car were parted out to a fellow luder who used them to build an immaculate '85.

All said though, I can't even look at a photo of that 2nd gen without wanting to go out and buy one instantly. I've long said that it's still the funnest car I've ever owned. Not quite as well balanced or as comfortable as the 3rd gen, but as a package, generally more fun.

If I ever manage to acquire more garage space than I have access to currently, I'll definitely be searching far and wide for another one to add to the stable.

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

I miss mine too! Who vandalized? I don't think I've heard that story.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

If I knew who vandalized it, I think they might be at the bottom of a lake by now or something, lol.

Long story short, I had parked it in a transit parking lot and left it there after dark during the winter. Ordinarily in my city this would be no problem at all at any time of the night so I was just unlucky. I'm guessing it was some local youths up to no good who threw boulders at it, breaking out the passenger and driver's side windows and wrecking the front windscreen beyond all recognition. Big rocks were also used against the hood and doors which ended up with some dents I wouldn't have bothered trying to pull out.

This all happened a few years ago, and I don't think I ever mentioned the story on here because I hadn't been using the car as a daily driver in quite some time. In a way, it was fortunate that I had decided to drive it that day rather than the '91.

Sad ending to a great car, and I do miss it more than anything else. If I ever manage to secure a much bigger garage, I'll be getting another one for sure, because I absolutely adored it. As I mentioned, I do take some pleasure in knowing that a lot of my best parts were shipped to a Canadian luder who used them to put together a properly nice '85 that he did a full restore on. My loss meant his mint condition seats, engine goodies and interior pieces.

I'm confident I will get another good one. For whatever reason, there are actually a lot of these still in my city (considering the age of the model). '86 SEs (like mine was) are hard to come by, but there are lots of '85s and 87's. Every once and a while one comes for sale (at premium money) that has been basically unused. Usually the car of an old lady who's not needed it but left it in a garage for most of its life. One came up a few years ago that had something like 35,000kms on the clock and had lived out its life in a heated garage. I'm sure it still smelled new. The seller wanted north of 8K for it, and I'd have given it to him if I had a place to store the thing.