Post by spiffyguido »

Super Bowl commercials are the best! Here's another one from Honda:

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Re: Super Bowl Commercials

Post by RedRacer »

That's funny, I just came here to put up that very commercial and you've already done it! That's a good one, esp with the Leno cameo at the end!

But on the off-side -- I am really hoping that is not what the final product is going to look like. First thing that I thought of when I saw the car is the R8 that's sitting in my dad's garage. Looks WAY too similar for me. I know this is just the concept and not the actual model we'll get next year, but still -- just not original enough for my tastes. That's why the NSX was such a great car to begin with, it was UNIQUE in style AND performance. I hope Honda/Acura hasn't dropped the ball, again.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

I agree.

However, as is often the case with cars like this, the produced model will differ from the concept a great deal. Due to crash regulations, we know that the new NSX will have a higher nose than its predecessors, but otherwise they should make it look more or less the same.

You can tell that the NSX in the ad is a concept vehicle....there's certainly parts missing. By the time they have to cram all the safety goodies and creature comforts into the above, the end result will look different. But as you said, here's hoping that Honda doesn't mess too much with a classic.

elspectro29
Prelude Guide
Prelude Model: 93 S and 91 Si

Post by elspectro29 »

I'm glad the NSX is coming back (although I hope they make it look less like an R8 between now and 2015). I also think it would be cool if there was a new sporty Honda to serve as a "precursor" to the NSX. But what could such a car be called? ;)

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

You're preaching to the converted here. I think all of us would love to see the Prelude brand make a comeback.

In all seriousness though, I think the industry is in a much better place to see the return of the Prelude than we have been in years. Sporty coupes are in again.

Hyundai has done well with the Genesis. The Subaru BRZ looks to be a future hit. Honda could get in on the fun as well.

Honda's lineup is a mess right now though, and I think they know it. The last Civic was a disaster, and I've read a lot suggesting that their sales of Accords haven't come close to what the company was hoping. They fast-tracked the refresh of the Civic, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the Accord get an overhaul as well. If they considered bringing the Prelude back, I don't think it's something we would see for a little while because their engineers have their work cut out for them as is.

If they did bring the Prelude back, they would need to rethink the segment it is meant to be fill. Over the years it was produced, the Prelude slowly shifted from a simple sporty coupe to a plusher touring sports coupe. If Honda was to bring the Prelude back, I think they would have the most success if they brought it back as a simple vehicle that will draw a tuning culture and be affordable to younger people. Honda's biggest mistake with the Prelude was making it too expensive overtime which put it out of reach for a lot of the Prelude's market segment.

Here's hoping.

elspectro29
Prelude Guide

Post by elspectro29 »

I've read that the next generation Accord is in the developmental stages, but I haven't seen anything solid on it. One of the articles I saw on the NSX said that some of its features are being tested in Accord prototypes, so the current Accord may still have a few years left in it. I actually like the sedan version, especially the V6s with VCM. I've never liked the rear fascia of the current Accord coupe, though. I just hope Honda doesn't rush it.

I'm not a fan of the new Civic. It looks like a cross between the last generation and a Prius. No thank you. When I heard that the upcoming Acura ILX was going to be based upon it, I was really skeptical about it, but from what photos I've seen of the concept, it doesn't look so bad. Of course that may change by the time the car goes into production.

If Honda brings back the Prelude, I'd like to see an affordable base model competing with the BRZ and Genesis coupes, with a few options available, like a more powerful engine. If SH-AWD is cheaper to produce by then, maybe have the Type SH return as well. You're right about the escalating costs of later Preludes; a 4th gen VTEC would cost nearly $40,000 USD in 2011-12. If Honda wants to make a more upmarket sports car, they can bring back the S2000 for that.

RedRacer

Post by RedRacer »

I think Honda has become complacent. Their sales haven't been all that damaged by their "boring" lineup. BUT - I believe that with the emergence of Kia and Hyundai as forces to be reckoned with in their design and style departments, and also beginning to bring up their performance specs as well, and for WAY less than even the cheapest Honda "sports" vehicle, Honda has begun to sit up and take notice.

I wrote Toyota off a long time ago. Their cars are boring, they offer nothing in the sports segment (and no, I don't consider Scion because nothing there impresses me, at all) -- Honda lost their competition in the mainstream market when Toyota removed their own testicles -- so that allowed Honda to do a lot of nothing. They didn't have to compete. That is beginning to change or going to have to change.

Prime example, the 2013 Hyundai Veloster turbo. 201 horsepower at 6,000 rpm and 194 pound-feet of torque from 1,750 rpm thanks to the addition of a twin-scroll turbo and a unique motor-actuated wastegate. 18 inch rims matched with Kumho rubber, 0-60 in the 7-8 second range and fuel econ of around 28 city and 38 highway, and the first offering of factory Matte Black shine-free paint on a car that is going to range at or under $20,000 on the sticker. These are the kinds of things people are after and at an affordable price -- and by this summer, when fuel in the US is going to be close or at $5 dollars a gallon, those MPG figures will be looking even better.

Mind you, Honda quality is somewhat still there, although I am beginning to hear stories of shoddy quality coming out of American Honda, including the Lincoln plant that I worked at for years, but Honda is just not what it used to be. I guess that's a good thing, but it's a sad thing. Good because it means others have strived to top Honda and offer better products (on some levels) and for a cheaper price, which in turn has given us new car lines to look at and play with.

Nothing Honda or Acura currently offers has me in awe except for the NSX. But that is only one end of the spectrum and it's a vehicle that unfortunately will only be accessible to a privileged few, which is how it was before -- BUT -- Honda also offered a few of options in their lineup with the Civic and Integra, the Prelude, and even the Accord coupe, for the people who couldn't go all the way to the top and buy an NSX. I didn't include the S2000, because again, it wasn't really accessible for the average working Joe. It was too expensive and too exclusive, like the NSX.

So here is hoping that Honda does not let a good thing get away from them, again, and offers not only a new and better NSX but also something in the middle of the road for the guy who has a few extra bucks and appreciates and wants a TRUE sports vehicle that lives up to the old name of Honda.

elspectro29
Prelude Guide

Post by elspectro29 »

I want to like the Veloster, I really do, but that name...and the "one driver door and two passenger doors" idea...those just rub me the wrong way. I do think otherwise that that should be the new target for Honda and the others. I agree with your assessment of Toyota; the only thing they ever made that impressed me (aside from the LFA, of course) was the Mark 4 Supra, but even its body styling can be traced to the 4th gen Prelude. Nissan's starting to head down that path, too.

RedRacer

Post by RedRacer »

EXACTLY! Hyundai is on the right track -- but they're not getting it exactly right from all angles.

The name is goofy, a combo of what, something that indicates speed and is also an agile hunter/killer? Velocity and Velociraptor = Veloster?

Yes, the 3rd door -- goofy.

The styling, it's ok, but could be better -- It seems obvious to me they took cues from the Honda CR-Z styling, but didn't get it quite "finished". It's a bit too bulky looking. Had they gone with their original concept vehicle styling, it would be an exact winner in my book.

They did get right what is important though -- the guts -- the power transfer, performance, weight, price, AND most of all, they managed to do all of that and get better than average fuel economy - the MPG's beat ALL the cars in direct competition; Mini, VW, Honda, etc. none of them can come close to that mileage and offer the performance for that low of a price tag.

So imagine if Honda did what it used to do based on say the Veloster model ..... They could knock it out of the park and once again be the standard by which the other guys set their goals.

elspectro29
Prelude Guide

Post by elspectro29 »

I'd also like to see Honda improve something it has already out there: the CR-Z. Ever since the CR-Z was created, there had always been rumors (mostly just unsubstantiated clamoring, although Honda did indicate it was possible too) for a sporty version of it, maybe with a K24, maybe not. About a month ago I read in a magazine that they may look at making a turbocharged version of it. I wouldn't be surprised if nothing comes out of it, but it would be a step in the right direction if it does happen, because it would compete directly with the Veloster Turbo.

Oh, and I always wondered if the Veloster name came from the combo of "velocity" and "roadster". I know that makes no sense, since it's not a roadster, but still...