The Old Man's Wheels

Discussions not related to Honda Preludes

Moderators: RedRacer, Moderators

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

The Old Man's Wheels

Post by RedRacer »

Spiff - from the "Atta boy!" post that I made, you said you prefer the Porsche two door vehicles, but the Panamera is still a nice ride. And I have to agree. It is a pretty cool ride. While I still like 2 door, 2 seat sports vehicles, I believe that as I get older I find a nice sports sedan to be pretty cool as well. OR, could just be that 10 years ago there were no such things as sports sedans that were worth a crap -- and now with technology on the move as it is, it's not out of the question to make a high performance four door ride.

My parents, Dad in particular, are big car enthusiasts. His brother owns a high-end exotics dealership, so there's always an influx of super nice wheels that I sometimes have the good fortune of getting my hands on for a day or two sometimes, if not for just a few hours to kick around town in for the experience.

They both own some very nice vehicles and I am envious of them. One day though, I might be able to do the same, if I save my money and play my cards right.

Right now the current cars in the old man's stable are: the 2011 Panamera, a 2005 AMG E55 wagon, I think it's a 2007 Lexus LX and a 1960 Austin Healey. Mom drives the 05 CLS 55 AMG.

I think the CLS is really my favorite as far as sedans go. Too bad they had to go and mess up the flowing lines of the original body though. The new model is just butt-ugly.

Anyway -- I don't own any of them, but I get to play with them and that's fine by me. Like a rental - I can have all the fun without any of the expense or hassle of owning or maintaining.

I grabbed these pics of the Panamera for you last week while I was at his office. It's a 2011 Turbo-S, basalt black metallic (almost a dark grey) with a dark grey interior. Car is awesome as far as performance. It has launch control and the chrono package, so it gets off the line to 60 under 4 seconds. He's had a couple of performance chips put in, don't know anything about Porsche mods so I can't tell you what, but I know it's removed the limiter of 155 mph and increased the hp just a few notches. I think track speed is 190 on the car, don't remember what he said. And that's the only place I'd ever take it that high. Not afraid to, and I will one day maybe, but for now, let's just say I do know for a fact it can go well over 150.

I remember how amazed I was at how fast the CLS moved with all it's weight, but the Panamera, in my opinion, leaves Mom's car in the shadows. BUT - Mom's car is unmatched as far as its beauty. The Porsche, while not the most attractive car when you first see it, does grow on you after a while, but it still can not hold a candle to the looks of the CLS.
Photo6334.jpg
Photo6333.jpg
Photo6335.jpg
*no, that's not oil on the ground. It's condensation drip from the A/C running. We were in the 100's last week.. Freakin HOT!

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

S-LudeDan
Prelude Guru
Prelude Model: 1996 Honda Prelude S

Re: The Old Man's Wheels

Post by S-LudeDan »

wow, i love that car and i know for a fact that 200mph is possible!

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

All the cars mentioned are properly nice. I love the CLSs...I think they're beautiful cars. As a fan of wagons (for practicality) I have to vouch my support for the E55 as well.

The Panamera looks to be a very nice ride, and the specs on them are impressive. I've never quite come to terms with the fact that Porsche makes more than two-door sports cars, but that aside, I am impressed with what they've churned out (although I pray nightly that they'll never build a cross-over). I've never driven either a Panamera or a Cayenne, but I know people who have and they sound to both be excellent vehicles. I have no doubt the Panamera is a rocket ship as far as sedans go and delivers the goods in the corners as well. It's great to see some pictures....and thanks for specifying that the stain on the tarmac is water and not oil, my eye did jump right to that and wonder.

Keep posting pics like this. Love the images and the stories. Here's hopin' a Veyron rolls into your uncle's shop soon.

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Post by RedRacer »

I want the E55 AMG REAL BAD. I've begged that it be left to me in his last will and testament! Next time I go to their house I'll grab a couple of pics, it's sweet.

Mom had a Cayenne Turbo S that died a violent death when an idiot driver made a U turn and pulled out in front of her when she was traveling around 55mph. Total loss. Was a beautiful vehicle. Had all the options and was awesome fun to drive. Had an exhaust note that made the hair on your arms stand up it sounded so good.

The water spot on the ground was funny. I turned the car around to face the other direction in better sunlight and I saw that from where it had been parked previously and it scared me for a second. I immediately thought OH GREAT - OIL!@@#! Dad will blame ME for that! Then I saw the puddle run a little and realized it was AC water. We've been above 90 every day for the past 17 days and most of those were in the 100's. Hot as Hell here. Outside temp gauge in the Titan read 102' yesterday. And it's not even JULY yet..when we get our hottest temps. sheesh.

VishaaL
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by VishaaL »

The last one I like the most... Its looking very nice and beautiful...