Terabytes

Discussions not related to Honda Preludes

Moderators: RedRacer, Moderators

RedRacer
Prelude Model: 1995 Si w/mods

Terabytes

Post by RedRacer »

On the other hand of just showing off ... I went today and dropped a couple of bucks and bought my first terabyte drive. Actually, 2 terabytes. That's like 2000 gig. That's like, A LOT.

Of course it's mainly going to be used as a data shuttle and a synch machine, as well as backup.

But, now that I am looking at how I am building things with this backup.......it's kind of scary to think about what happens when your backup dies? !

Sure it's one thing to lose a couple hundred gig of data ...... but what about losing 2000 gigs? Holy batshit bytes, Batman!

So now I'm on this whole thought process of what to backup my backup with....or how.

Now that I've done this, I'm thinking about getting Network Attached Storage (NAS) with RAID 1 mirroring. I talked to a friend of mine and he can get me a DNS-323 with dual 750GB SATA drives for about $700. I mean after all, ALL hard drives eventually fail and you really need to backup your backup...

Yes, I have important things burned to DVD, I have two external portables with crucial info, one at my brother's house and one at my parents. And like I said, DVD's as well. Some even in triplicate.

I tend to lean toward the disaster side of life...... I've had one office building go up in flames in a 5 alarm fire, I saved my data....however, my brother's house was broken into and they took all the electronics. Including my then portable fail-safe backup. And well, we all know what happens when I get on aircraft...... engines tend to fall off.

SO ... call me paranoid... I want to backup my new backup.

Sigh ..... I see this getting complicated. :? :?

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Terabytes

Post by spiffyguido »

Data backup is hard. And it's true; if something bad is going to happen, it will probably happen to you, what with your terrible luck as of late. I hate to say it, but you do have some really bad luck. Let me count the ways:

-Engines falling off the airplanes you ride in.
-Trees falling on your car
-All the killer storms you get in your area.

Ugh.

For backup I use 2.5" seagate drives inside Vantec enclosures. Then I just keep a few of the drives in different places. Handy.

http://www.vantecusa.com/front/product/view_detail/230