Hello and HELP all! '90 lude owned for 7 years..

Discussion topics related to all generations of Honda Preludes

Moderators: RedRacer, Moderators

GreenMachine
Prelude Enthusiast

Hello and HELP all! '90 lude owned for 7 years..

Post by GreenMachine »

Hi y'all!
Hope it's correct netiquette to say Hi before getting stuck into the forums! Just successfully negotiated another MOT but would appreciate comments re: the infamous alb system.. and sorry if it's considered rude to ask questions during ones opening gambit..

The alb light has illuminated above 6mph for the last 3 years.. discs and pads have been regularly changed.. sensors have been cleaned as have the splines on the hubs.. it's right hand drive and I've found the connector for something connected to the system in the passenger foot-well (but can't remember what it's for/how to make use of it).. various sites mention the different fuses to check.. and like on another thread I just read around here, the brake pedal does periodically slide to the floor, arresting the car eventually, but sometimes it feels like it's only just holding it back..

SO, I guess my questions would be..
which fuses do I need to check and where are they located exactly..
where exactly is the 'control unit' located (if it isn't the thing in the passenger foot-well)..
is it possible to replace the control unit
what would you suggest I do to remedy the brake system.. the system was bled about 12 months ago, and having recently had the discs/pads changed I like to think my very good local garage would have done that also.. this problem was manifest prior to the change btw (the brake lines are showing signs of corrosion, so maybe they're at fault, although there is no weepage..)

Other than that, thank you! I love my car to bits and defend it's honour at every opportunity!

Long Live the Lude's!! :P

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Hello and HELP all! '90 lude owned for 7 years..

Post by spiffyguido »

Welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear about your troubles with the ALB system.

I've attached a picture at the bottom of the post that details where all the main components are. I also suggest that you take a look at page 13-46 in the service manual (1988 version) which is available for free in our manuals section (see top of page).

The main fuse for the ALB system is located under the hood in the main fuse box (next to battery). The control unit looks as though it is underneath the dash in about the center of the car.
PreludeALBSystem.GIF

GreenMachine
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by GreenMachine »

Fabulous and many, many thanks! So, I think I have therefore located the control unit afterall in that case. I'll have a look at the fuses tomorrow too. Are they the 'normal' kind or one of the ceramic-looking, screwed-in ones I wonder? I guess all will be revealed! I also have a copy of the infamous Chilton Manual which has been an absolute life-saver on many an occaision! The car really has veyr few faults, not least, considering the inclement weather it tolerates in the UK!
I recently fabricated a new power-steering fluid cooler out of copper, as the original cooler had pretty much rotted away. All appears very successful. I also re-soldered one the solenoids (maybe) many years ago, following some online advice - the car wouldn't always start when hot, and legend had it the soldering of this particular unit wasn't always reliable. I have to say having re-soldered it, it's never given me a problem. :)
Thanks so much for the welcome and advice and assistance. I'll look forward to hanging out here on a regular basis!

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

The fuses are the regular type. If my memory serves me correctly, the ALB fuse is a 15 amp. At any rate, it will be labeled on the fuse diagram in the manual.

Glad you got the hot start issues sorted out.