h23/h22 frankenstein

Discussion topics related to all generations of Honda Preludes

Moderators: RedRacer, Moderators

Preludedude
Lude Dude
Prelude Model: 95' VTEC

h23/h22 frankenstein

Post by Preludedude »

So i am honestly considering doing the Frankenstein to my 95' Prelude, but is it really worth it, has any dyno'd it before and does anyone know the Hp and Torque that is has (stock) and overall do you guys think that is worth the task of doing all the work that needs to be done, and if any one has done it that reads this, what are some things that i might run into doing the conversion.

Thanks,
Ronald

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: h23/h22 frankenstein

Post by spiffyguido »

I believe the conversion should be pretty smooth. The blocks are very similar. Just a lot of grunt work to swap parts between them.

As far as gains, I don't have any dyno sheets to point you to. I believe people often do this with the intent to eventually turbo the motor. That's where the big power is.

Preludedude
Lude Dude
Prelude Model: 95' VTEC

Post by Preludedude »

is the H22A1 good to turbo by itself, or is it safer to do it to the frankenstein then turbo.

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

The H22 can certainly be turbocharged itself. It's a very good engine.

The people who do the frankenstein setups are just looking for more displacement and the sweet "squish zone" that the smaller cylinder dome circumference that the H22 head on H23 block allows for.

In both cases though, the really big gains come from dropping the compression ratio via shorter rods and/or smaller pistons to allow for much higher levels of boost.

For a daily driver though, I wouldn't do anything too crazy. 400 hp is fun at the track, but it's a pain for burbling around town.

tyleryodaddy
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by tyleryodaddy »

What exactly does h23/h22 frankstein entail?

spiffyguido

Post by spiffyguido »

An H22 VTEC head on an H23 block.

This popular combo has been nicknamed the Frankenstein by Honda enthusiasts. It apparently works very well for turbo builds.