New Video! - How to Replace the Timing Belt

Discussion topics related to all generations of Honda Preludes

Moderators: RedRacer, Moderators

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

New Video! - How to Replace the Timing Belt

Post by spiffyguido »

Hi everyone.

I've just completed a massive new video collection detailing how to change the timing belt in a Honda Prelude.

I've had it uploaded to PreludeDriver.com's new official youtube channel at http://www.youtube.com/user/PreludeDriverDotCom.

It's also been added to our videos page at: videos.php

Hopefully you'll find it useful.

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

clu522
Lude Dude

Re: New Video! - How to Replace the Timing Belt

Post by clu522 »

This is really helpful ~! I gonna do my Timing belt next few months.

Tallrunner68
Lude Dude

Post by Tallrunner68 »

Thank you so much! Brand new owner here, and an amateur shade tree michanic. I have a little experience and this car is my project/learning car. This video series, which I have watched twice now, are incredibly detailed and I feel confident that I can tackle this. I am planning on making sure that I am totally familiarized with this before beginning, and as of yet, I do not have the parts. So while I appreciate the videos now, I hope they are still up when I can do the work. Or better yet available to download somewhere for archiving.

Tallrunner68
Lude Dude

Post by Tallrunner68 »

One question for you, which i also left as a comment on youtube, but you would probably see this one first. Why is re-timing the engine necessary if you locked the cams in place? As far as timing the engine goes, I am a total noob, and it is the only part of this project that i am uncomfortable with. Not that i wouldn't like to try, the engine probably needs to be adjusted as it currently sits, but i am a little intimidated by trying to time it myself. I was hoping that locking the cams would allow me to changed the timing belt without inadvertently adjusting the timing.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Locking the cams in place allows you to be sure that the top end is lined up as it should be. Then you just have to zero in the crank/flywheel and the mechanical timing will be set perfectly. However, the new belt might be slightly less stretched then a used one, so the actual ignition timing might be a bit off. This is why it is a good idea to get the timing light out and zero things in using a timing light.

In you case, if you wanted to practice setting the ignition timing you can do it at any time by just following the steps in the video that involve the timing light. You don't have to touch the timing belt at all to set the ignition timing. In fact, it's a good idea to do this several times during the belt's life.