Thanks Guys!!

Discussion topics related to all generations of Honda Preludes

Moderators: RedRacer, Moderators

Famous Nick
Prelude Enthusiast

Thanks Guys!!

Post by Famous Nick »

I am having trouble with my '92s AC. I was searching around trying to find some info when I stumbled on your site. I'm currently downloading the gen 4 service manual. Thank you SO much for sharing these. You guys are amazing for that ALONE, but I see you are very active and have a LOT of knowledgeable and helpful admins and community members.

I'll be spending some time here, since I've decided to repair my amazing and loved but long in the tooth 'lude rather than buy a new vehicle (though I must say that 2013 Hyundai Gen 3.8 looks pretty tempting, I still think the old silver lady has some very quick and smooth years ahead of her... if I can just get this dang AC fixed!

Thanks again, folks!

:D

Advertisement

PreludeDriver.com

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Re: Thanks Guys!!

Post by spiffyguido »

Welcome to the forum. Glad you found us.

What sort of AC problems are you having? Is it not blowing cold air? Does you AC butting glow orange indicating an error with the system? Is the compressor making noise? Fill us in on the details/symptoms and we'll try our best to help you out.

Famous Nick
Prelude Enthusiast

Post by Famous Nick »

Wow, Spiffy G, I wasn't expecting someone to actually OFFER me some assistance! This place is GREAT! Even if you CAN'T help me, just offering to try is super cool, thank you!

The problem I'm having is a common one in my year I think, everything SORTA works SOMETIMES, most of the time no AC, the button doesn't light up when pressed, and no cold air comes out. On occasion (usually on not too hot mornings) the AC light will come on, and sometimes when the light is on the vents will blow chilled air. Sometimes I can push the buttons that re-direct air-flow and have them do something noticeable, but that doesn't seem to be happening so much right now and air is stuck coming out of the passenger side door-vent only and it is blowing hot air. For a while I could "knock" the dash with a closed fist and the climate control would work for a bit, then stop later on, usually when it got hot outside. After about a year hitting it like The Fonz from happy days no longer did the trick, and it got like it is now.

It seems like the solder points on the logic board have become brittle, failed, and are not connecting correctly, which seems like it happens to a lot of the 1992 Prelude SI's. I found a video on youtube that shows how to re-solder these points, but it didn't show how to actually GET to the part. I started searching for information on that, and that's when I found your site. There's at least one discussion about this problem on your forum, and in it the responder posts some screen grabs from a manual, then he mentions that you guys had the manuals available for download. I went to the manuals page, and couldn't DL them without signing up first, so I did, then I felt compelled to thank you, and here we are!

Anyway, I'm now trying to figure out if I can get to the part without leaving any obvious signs that I've had to remove the center panel, then I have to muster the courage to solder the thing myself, though it can't really get any MORE broken, I suppose.

spiffyguido
Prelude Model: 1991 SE-SR

Post by spiffyguido »

Is this the thread you had found:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=629&p=2326

It details how to pull out the climate control unit. You should be able to do it without fouling anything up on your car, so I wouldn't worry about giving it a shot. If you take it out, then you can manage the solder fix.